• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Got a new to me 930 SPX with mag tube problems. New follower

Yes, you want the 590 heavy wall version. I liked Magpul's clamp because they are comparatively cheap, and because you can use either their snap-ring sling attachment, or, removing that, simply use the QD button releases for a lower profile.

Got the Nordic clamp canceled. Going to order the Magpul clamp and a clamp on rail to mount the light to. Thanks for all the help! I am also going to post a photo of the inside of the mag tube extension. Maybe you guys will see something I’m missing.

F783DEF4-9571-4F5D-B872-1C7AD09AD54C.jpeg D10079A1-C985-41A5-9BE0-1F40BB663F18.jpeg 5F0357E3-66D1-44B2-B6B5-523108655C37.jpeg 2355E9F7-FB27-41D7-8F24-18E300236808.jpeg 0E7FBA09-BF8A-4983-A327-2028021ECD66.jpeg

Pictures as promised. I took a shot down the forearm so you can see the alignment of the tube. It’s pretty good. Anyway, I have identified the problem as the follower, no surprise. I removed it and dropped a shell in and had no problems. I polished the radiused areas of the follower on a buffing wheel. It is still hanging up. I am convinced that the factory follower is too short and too soft of metal to work good. I can still see places it is hanging up. I’m hoping the Nordic follower works. If not, the Vang Comp follower ought to help.

Last edited:
Yeah, NEVER "polish" an aluminum follower. EVER. If it has sharp edges, send it back, or throw it away. The hardcoat anodizing (properly applied) is smoother that any polish you'll be able to complete, simply by being harder than the aluminum below it's surface. Bare aluminum will oxidize, and will deform with any contact with any harder surface, when its under spring pressure.

Well, I screwed that up! I’ll know from now on. I don’t work with aluminum very much. I am waiting on the Nordic follower still. Freaking Brownells has the slowest shipping. I did get the clamp ordered too. Now to wait on it!

I go the Nordic follower FINALLY! It only to two weeks. I have it installed and it seems to be a lot better. The hard stop after 4-5 shells is GONE! I did have two times where it tried to catch just a little but a more firm push loaded the next round. The Nordic follower isn’t perfect. It has a slight burr around the back edge but, so far, it isn’t a problem. Now, I need to trim my Wolff spring. Oh, and the capacity is 6+1 right now. I am hoping a shorter spring restores the capacity but at least it works!

Good deal! I suspect the hitch you felt might be the spring over-compressing, since it sounds like it's still a bit long. I'd pull mine & measure for you, but I'm right at about 1000 rounds, so it's lost some OAL by now!

Just take 1-2 coils at a time & try to load. You'll be surprised at how little you have to trim to make a difference.

Back