• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

MVP .5.56mm barrel swap???

Guys I have a Mossberg MVP Predator, early model with a 20" "sporter" style barrel. I have a couple things to state. First off the rifle is a tack driver, especially for a guy like myself that gets sub MOA at 200 yards and uses factory ammo (have not the space yet to get into reloading). I probably have close to 800 rounds through the gun and currently has a Redfield 3-9x 40mm Revolution scope. I should have gone 4-12 but eh perhaps later. The gun is INCREDIBLY accurate. One thing I was considering though, and I dont know if its possible through Mossberg is to change to a 24" med. bull barrel. I want to thread on a flash hider and my barrel did not come threaded. It also is the thinner profile sporter model. BUT I MUST SAY THIS: "and this is pretty much amazing in my reasoning) but the MVP 5.56 sporter barrel is actually THICKER than the barrels on my Savage 110 in .30-06 AND my WWII Mauser 98K. The sporter barrel is a full 1/8th of an inch thicker at the crown than the barrels on my .30 cal. and 8mm! So it brings me back to my circular reasoning, do I actually NEED a med. bull barrel? I see all MVP models now have them, and none except for the FLEX (last I checked) still had a sporter barrel available. I called Mossberg and they said they do not sell barrels nor do they do barrel swaps even on their own rifles. That struck me as odd and Mossberg's customer service is not the most knowledgeable regarding their own products as I have come to find out so maybe it is possible? Should I even bother messing with it just to get a bit of a thicker barrel? I do prefer a heavier gun rather than a lightweight rifle, it helps me with accuracy. Your thoughts?

If you're wanting to thread the barrel in order to attach any sort of muzzle attachment, as long as the (5.56) barrel has at least .610 outside diameter, there will be enough of a shoulder to thread against when using the standard 1/2-28 barrel threads. But, larger diameter barrel is obviously preferred.

The thickness of the barrel at the muzzle measures in at 5/8" which would be .625 so theoretically it would be more than enough to thread. Correct?

You could thread it at the standard 1/2-28 for 556 no problem.

That would allow you to turn down the barrel to the proper OD for the threading and give you enough shoulder behind the threading for a positive stop for any type of muzzle device.

Thanks John A. for the information. I have an Stag Arms A2 style flash hider that I'd love to put on it, it would just complete the rifle. The other thing as I have been researching, the M16A1, and the new AR15A1-retro's that have been released as of late sport all have a ⅝" or .625 threaded barrel for the same purpose. Basically, my MVP Predator barrel is a 20" hunting contour barrel that ends at ⅝" at the muzzle. As far as accuracy, it'll shoot the wings off a fly with like 55 gr. ammo. I like the idea of threading it because it would enable me to install a flash hider, making it an optimum predator rifle even for night hunting. Regardless, looking at the flash-hider itself from Stag, the opening itself on the female end where the threads are inside is ⅝"... Which kind of has me confused, how will it possibly fit? Maybe the accidentally sent me one for a .30 cal?

1/2-28 has been standard for 223/556 since the early 60's that I know of.

While it's possible to thread an AR/M16 barrel in 5/8-24, that is not typical for them.

AR10's in 30 calibers are 5/8-24. As are some 6.8 spcII's calibers but again, are both larger than .224 bullets.

No wonder why this suppressor looks off! I ordered a just 5.56mm and looked up the sku item number and they sent me a 6.8 SPC A2 Flash Hider Specs Caliber: 6.8 SPC Threading: 1/2" x 36! This is going back tomorrow.

Yeah, that would have never threaded onto your barrel.

1/2-36 is Colts' oddball pitch for 9mm M16 barrels.

Back