• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

464 Accuracy

I've never had one get behind the gate, but I've had rounds hang at the mouth of the tube. When it does this I can half-cycle the lever again & hear the "snick" of the next shell released from the tube. Not sure what causes the temporary hang-up.

Haven't had mine out in a long time. Now that I have the Skinner peep on it I need to see how that works. I put the scope on the AR I built. I got a notice our range is closed for improvements. I guess it is time to go fishing. If you have any mechanical bugaboos check with Caddmann. He's a gol dang yeenyus about these 464's.:rolleye:

I'm a city boy. My indoor gun range only goes out to 25 yards. My gun is spot on while haloing the bullseye. The x's are with use of my laser sight, which shot a bit low at that time. All shots are taken standing with no rest or table. No problems with accuracy. In my opinion, it'll get the job done.20190627_190713.jpg 20190627_190826.jpg 20190627_190620.jpg

Last edited:
I was so happy with the peep on my 464 I ended up installing one on my M92 38/357 & my Patriot!

Which peep do you have? I still need to get off my keester and go sight it. I will have to supply the windage but it can be adjusted for elevation, roughly. If I like the Skinner, I may see if there is a Williams or maybe even a Lyman sight that will adjust. I loved the receiver sight I had on my Lyman Great Plains Rifle. But I had to get something a little lighter weight and that kicked a little less than the 54 cal footballs it shot.

Which peep do you have? I still need to get off my keester and go sight it. I will have to supply the windage but it can be adjusted for elevation, roughly. If I like the Skinner, I may see if there is a Williams or maybe even a Lyman sight that will adjust. I loved the receiver sight I had on my Lyman Great Plains Rifle. But I had to get something a little lighter weight and that kicked a little less than the 54 cal footballs it shot.
I have the Lo-Pro on the 464. I had too take a little off the stud to sight it in with my front.

rs3qxtjh.jpg

Last edited:
I finally got to the range with the 464 and my home built Kentucky and home built AR. I did ok with the Kentucky but improvement is needed. Possibly a new sight combo. The AR's scope needed adjustments but when I used it the first two times at the range I could not get it sighted. I installed a 3# Velocity trigger and noticed an improvement immediately. I did have to adjust the sight but not as much as i needed the lighter trigger. I do need practice shooting but at 50 yards shooting at a 6"x6" dirty Bird I managed on 2 targets to get 7/8, and 8/10 within approximately 2" groups. Not good, but way better than before. The trigger was the big factor. I will have it out again soon when I take the MMR.

I also liked the Skinner Lo Boy on the 464, but i need to grind down the stud on the rear or get a taller front sight. I did get some ok groups and am satisfied it is a good shooter. My eyes demanded a better sight and the paap did the trick. I have pictures in the car but I will have to post them later.

Even after it rained and got chilly and the flies ate us up...it was a good day at the range.

If you're looking for a link to KNS' brass Henry front sight, Here it is:

https://www.knsprecisioninc.com/product/crosshair-for-henry-style-rifles/
Thanks. Found what I needed for the 464, ordered it and am now a happy camper. I like the reticule in the front sight but decided to go with a .030 shorter length peep base. If i need to grind on that one I will. Not sure how much difference .030" will make in POI but I will see when it gets here. I am glad you showed me that sight. I had previously ordered from KNS so I have their link.

Update: I ordered a .030" shorter post rear peep but it is a different thread size. The man at Skinner said it is for "other guns with thread sizes that match." It won't work on my 464. But it is returnable so no problem. I will just return all parts I ordered and go back to a scope. My eyes and that rear peep are not a good match.

Last edited:
I do like it, especially for quick acquisition, but for precision target shooting something other than a rear peep would be better.

I ordered a new rear base/peep but I am not sure I need it. I think I shot plinker loads and that is why my shots were more like a shotgun pattern...a bad one. I had one empty case that had a good primer. I pulled the bullet and saw that the primer was dented so that made sense why the bullet was still stuck in the case. Never happened before but I know why this happened and my new powder drop is to blame. No powder, no boomboom.

The other misfire was from possibly a pistol primer that was seated a bit too deep. No dent at all. I pulled that bullet also and dumped the powder in the toilet, and punched out the primer. All is safe with those 2 now. I will have to weigh the rest of the rounds in that box to see if there is anything to worry about.

When the new peep comes in I will install it and get some new factory loads out. I have about 200 of them set aside for sighting in scopes. I know they are good. I will test a few of these reloads and if they are uniform, I will trust them. If they are as crappy as what I shot the other day I will mark them as plinkers.

I am disappointed that I actually loaded bad loads. But from now on I will weigh every charge. No more messin with a hit or miss powder drop.

I doubt I will be able to shoot any kind of precision groups but If I can get 3 MOA I will be happy. If I can't get that with the Skinner sights, I will be back to scoping it again. I took the scope off and put it on another rifle. I may buy another one. I was going to sell the rifle and still may. I don't need a 3030 anyway. I just like something with a heavier bullet if I want to use it for coyotes in some heavy brush.

Back from the range yesterday. Took some bench shots, along with some rapid fire. Of course same low shoots from my laser grip. The neck shot where on purpose. Went for the fatal t shots. When I did my rapid fire, I alternated between chest and head shots. All shots were 20 to 24 yards. At 25 yards, my paper touches the back stop rubber pile. Multiple key holes, head and chest. 4 in 1 in the head shot key hole. This is not a match grade ar 15. It has a cheap Walmart red dot that halos really bad. My point is, it'll get the job done. I would even go so far as to say that it's very accurate.Within 100 yards, it's my go to....big bore.

Attachments

• 20191030_230136.jpg
    20191030_230136.jpg
    185.6 KB · Views: 16
  • 20191030_230355.jpg
    20191030_230355.jpg
    191.3 KB · Views: 16
  • 20191030_230338.jpg
    20191030_230338.jpg
    146.7 KB · Views: 16
  • 20191030_225227.jpg
    20191030_225227.jpg
    225.5 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
.......If I can't get that with the Skinner sights, I will be back to scoping it again. I took the scope off and put it on another rifle. I may buy another one. I was going to sell the rifle and still may. I don't need a 3030 anyway. I just like something with a heavier bullet if I want to use it for coyotes in some heavy brush.

I have scopes that seem to make the rounds from one of my rifles to the next, but I never leave one in place for long. Just tend to prefer open sights for anything I want to carry around while checking fences,etc. Partly it's the extra weight, but also how it throws off the balance when handling a lever or bolt rifle. You mention bullet weight for coyotes, I'm the same way, & for the occasional hog. Open sights are fine for both.

I have scopes that seem to make the rounds from one of my rifles to the next, but I never leave one in place for long. Just tend to prefer open sights for anything I want to carry around while checking fences,etc. Partly it's the extra weight, but also how it throws off the balance when handling a lever or bolt rifle. You mention bullet weight for coyotes, I'm the same way, & for the occasional hog. Open sights are fine for both.

I have to put up with the extra weight. I always use a sling so that helps. I can't focus with this peep. It is just too far away from my eye. I wish now I hadn't sold my Savage 308. It was a bolt gun but way more accurate than this lever gun. If I find that I need another 30 cal I will get another one. But, I have to make sure I give this 464 a fair try. I don't want to get rid of it and find that it was a better rifle than I thought.

I wish we had some hogs here in East Iowa. I can't afford out of state Ranch hunts. Seems to me as much as these ranchers whine and bitch about the millions of dollars of damage the hogs cause they'd be happy to let people
hunt em. But, it's all about money.

Back