• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Did I make the right choice?

Paper Clip

Copper BB
Hey all. First post here. I have been after a good travel gun recently. I have been bouncing back and forth from the shockwave to the PC carbine or the sub-2000. Wanted something that would supplement a 9mm handgun well, but be small enough to go on road trips and in and out of hotels. Recently, I happened upon a pre-owned, never fired Nightstick for a great deal. It is on the way now. I bought it thinking it would be perfect, but now I am having second thoughts. I am worried about lack of a stock and about controllability and shot spread. It’s obviously too late to change my mind now, unless I get there and the gun is not in the condition described by the seller. What do you think? Did I make the right choice? Thanks!

I dont know if its allowed to put a regular stock on it ?
If so, maybe a Hogue short stock ? Maybe a regular pistolgrip can make it more controllable ?

There are really no "travel friendly firearms". Just about every state regulates things differently. Handguns. Long guns. Other.

Sometimes even different cities or counties within a state will be different than surrounding cities and towns.

Welcome to the land of the free.

On the bright side, my Shockwave fits perfectly in a tenor ukulele case which makes the types of public movements you’re describing rather incognito. So, you definitely could do worse. Just get it out and shoot a few boxes through it and see what you think before you get wrapped up one way or the other.

You'll be fine, don't second guess yourself - use the push-pull method and watch Clint @ Thunder Ranch's video of patterning using your preferred load - Just don't use any 3" Magnum buckshot and you'll do just fine and keep it away from your nose (hold it out far enough)

The Nightstick is the best Shockwave by far, if you got it for less than NIB street price you did awesome - DONT REMOVE THE STRAP -

You'll be fine

this ^^^^

in my opinion,

the best advice (as ricky_bobby stated)
is to use the "push-pull" grip.

(the videos with bloody hands and
busted teeth are showing you how
not to hold this firearm)

the first time i fired mine (12ga),
i put a death hold on both the slide grip
and the bird's head.
(wearing gloves and ear muffs)

... and used 7.5 bird shot.
... and giggled like a little girl.

next up, 00 Buck,
... didn't giggle this time but sure did smile.

then 1 oz slugs.
... same thing except bigger smile.

then a box of 3" turkey magnums.

... what a hoot ...

... especially when the rifle/pistol area
... lowered their firearms and looked over
... to see WTF was making that kind of racket !

hahahahahahahaha.

(and then you realize that the "death hold"
is just until you ... you know)

so ... it was my first time out with it,
and a total of just under 100 rounds.

no regrets at all.

this is from a 69 year old wuss
at about 5'9" & 155lb

... don't worry about it.

/

Oh yea ...
to really make it shine, get the CT Laser Saddle.

/

You'll love it. I was running 2 3/4 buckshot in mine until Monday. I finally ordered an Opsol 2.0 and ran as bunch of minishells thru it. I keep it on my nightstand but instead of 5+1 2 3/4 shells there's 8+1 mini buckshot.

It's a fun gun and is useful if you train with it.
Post pics when you get it!

Hey all. First post here. I have been after a good travel gun recently. I have been bouncing back and forth from the shockwave to the PC carbine or the sub-2000. Wanted something that would supplement a 9mm handgun well, but be small enough to go on road trips and in and out of hotels. Recently, I happened upon a pre-owned, never fired Nightstick for a great deal. It is on the way now. I bought it thinking it would be perfect, but now I am having second thoughts. I am worried about lack of a stock and about controllability and shot spread. It’s obviously too late to change my mind now, unless I get there and the gun is not in the condition described by the seller. What do you think? Did I make the right choice? Thanks!

Paper Clip, welcome to the forum. Give it a chance to show you what it can do. If it turns out to not be a good fit I'm sure you can recoup your investment.

Hope your acquisition turned out happily. I picked up my Shockwave last week and couldn’t be happier with it. I had the same concerns about recoil and spread but figured the only way I’d know for sure it to experience it firsthand. My Boomstick is a plain-Jane with a Lasersaddle and not a Nightstick, but I love it nonetheless!

Back