• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Yotes are pure predators

Is this a pic you took?

I killed a gray wolf sneakin up on me from behind. I was sitting in a brush pile callin squirrels and felt a stick tick me on the back. I turned around and there he was...just about 4 feet directly behind me. I drew my Walker and hit him in the chest, then I put a load of 4's into his head. I know he was after the squirrels he thought he heard but was surprised by something a lot bigger. I didn't take any chances.
I've always got my head on a swivel when I'm calling deer, moose or elk...we've got some especially dense bush up here. (northern & coastal mountains) Man those predators move through the thick stuff like friggin' ghosts and fast too...you'll almost always see them before you hear them unless they want to be heard. Except for bears, they move quiet alright but not nearly as quiet as lions, coyotes or wolves. I think it's cuz bears don't generally give a crap...lol. They'll eat anything anyway.

I have called up 3 yotes and 2 wolves. I didn't mean to but it just happened they thought I was a squirrel rattlin around in the brush. All were shot at very close range, ranging from 6 feet to 20 yards. All were killed with a 20 ga Glenfield 550 pumper gun. Best shotty I ever owned. One wolf proved to be tough as wang leather and I had to pepper him with several shots from the 20 as well as 3 .445 bullets from my Walker. These animals mean business when they have business to do and I do not like the idea of becoming their next dinner. I shoot em when I see em. And now that at least one of my AR's are sighted pretty good I will take them out head on. The first yote I got was a young ambitious little guy of about 25 lbs. His hide graced my gun wall for many years. I saw him running through heavy brush and mouthed the rabbit call and exactly when I dropped the call and lifted the gun he popped out into a pathway and stopped staring at me. I shot him with #4 shot and that was that. I was carrying him back to the truck and the farmers cows seemed to be interested in what I was dragging out. The were gaining on me and the farmer was standing next to the electric wire waving and hollering for me to get my ass over there and quick. I finally understood what he was saying and I flung the carcass over the wire and made a dive before mama cow with her calf got to the fence. She was not real happy but the farmer and i were in hysterics. I always thought cows were afraid of coyotes but for sure not these cows. They were ready to do battle.

The next one i got was from the same spot but this time it was a gnarly old daddy dog and I am sure he was pushin 50 lbs. I was sitting up against a big oak and he didn't see me when he jumped the fence about 3 feet beside the tree. I must have sounded the squirrel call pretty good because he stopped dead in his tracks and sniffed the air just long enough to let me give him a lead crown. #4s are all I shoot and they do a great job.

I won't go into all the details about the other ones. One died fighting, one fied hightailin it out of town and the other one was just moseying along and took one in the ribs. I never thought of turning in the hides. I just let them lay so I wouldn't;t have to run away from them dang cows again. Plowed fields are hard to run on.

Now I have some guns that shoot and soon will have more that shoot better I am on fire to get out there again.

Back