• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

590A1 Big Time Barrel Issue!

Glad to hear they made it right.

Hey guys. First posting and I think I have the same problem. I just got my second mossberg last week and there's some reddish stuff in my barrel too. Its a 590a1 I bought new. I'm attaching a photo hopefully y'all can view. Oh and if anyones interested my first mossberg is a 183 da from about 1950 handed down through the family to me. Still works great.

Attachments

• IMG_20121025_194722-1.jpg
    IMG_20121025_194722-1.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 577
What are you using to clean the barrel with after the range?

That picture was before I ever shot or cleaned it. Brand new out of the box. I scrubbed it with hoppes this morning. Here's what it looks like now. Still haven't been able to figure out what it is.

Attachments

• IMG_20121031_120241-1.jpg
    IMG_20121031_120241-1.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 571
It is most likely dried grease/preservative from the factory, similar to the cosmoline found on surplus rifles. Since there's no telling gow long any given firearm will sit in a warehouse somewhere before being purchased, Mossberg tends to over coat their firearms with this stuff inside and out before leaving the factory. My 590a1 showed up at the dealer so filthy I thought it had to be used, but after a good cleaning sure enough it was lookin brand spankin new...

No problem.

Oh, and welcome aboard. We're glad to see you join up. Feel free to jump in on the conversation anywhere and let us know if you have any other questions...

-L.E.S.

Hey guys,

Just bought my first 590A1 and couldn't wait to get it to the range! After firing 75-90 (extremely enjoyable) standard Winchester Universal 2 3/4" shells through her, I noticed a very concerning problem.

Inside the barrel I noticed what could only be described as "flaking." Large flakes of what appeared to be a coating from the inside of the barrel were coming off with easy revealing the silver steel underneath.

So I suppose I suppose my question is, is the inside of a 590A1 barrel parkerized? Or just the outside? It's clearly not parkerized at the bore end of the barrel but it is hard to tell at the fore end, as the "flaking" only starts about half way down the barrel and there is just as much silver steel showing as there is of the flakey black coating...

Any ideas??

Thanks!

I got a Mossberg 590A1
I got the same problem! But I noticed it to late. I bought it 2015 and didn't use it that much because of loss of hunting land. Contract didn't get extended. Land owner sold it.
Also not a lot of free time because of own business start. Now that I have more time to fire some shots at the range I noticed this flaking afterwards. In total since I bought it I have fired about 100 rounds and cleaned it, lubed it everytime after use.
Now 4 years later, after I bought it, would it be possible to get a new barrel?
I live in Sweden and the store that I bought it from is very cranky about ordering a new barrel eventhough they have a deal with mossberg.
What should I do? I will pay of course.
20190626_113111.jpg 20190626_113103.jpg 20190626_113111.jpg

I would definitely try to talk with Mossberg and share these pics with them. I haven’t had to deal with their warranty folks at all, but their parts desk folks have always been pleasant to deal with.

Can you get any of the “flakes” out of the barrel to get a color pic or two of the residue to better see what you’re dealing with? Bead sight barrel or Ghost Ring sights? 18.5” or 20”?

I would definitely try to talk with Mossberg and share these pics with them. I haven’t had to deal with their warranty folks at all, but their parts desk folks have always been pleasant to deal with.

Can you get any of the “flakes” out of the barrel to get a color pic or two of the residue to better see what you’re dealing with? Bead sight barrel or Ghost Ring sights? 18.5” or 20”?

20" barrel. I have emailed mossberg international about this and shared pictures. Waiting for answer.

20190626_114330.jpg

Update!

I got an answer from mossberg. I sent them the pictures and info.
This is how they responded:

Hi Karl,
We recommend going back to the dealer where the purchase was made for assistance. We also recommend doing a very thorough cleaning of the barrel. There is no reason for anything to be flaking off inside the bore. We also recommend reviewing the ammo you are using in the gun and trying a different brand or type of ammo.

Sincerely,
Customer Service Team
O.F. Mossberg & Sons, Inc

Don't I feel foolish.
I took the barrel to a friend who have special bore cleaning equipment and solvent. And after some hours the led residue finally came off. Yes, led residue. Not all but 80%.
When I got the shotgun it was dirty right from the box. So for me, as my first weapon I thought it was supposed to look like that. Not as shiny as "non military" weapons. Because I never managed to clean the bore so.
After Mossberg test fired it shouldn't they clean it?
Well after my 100 rounds lead slugs, more build up.
I have ordered lead solvent to clear off the rest later. And I will use it henceforth due to my "sluggish" ammo ;)
And let's not speak of this again :doh:

The ammo I used where Winchester foster slugs, and Federal foster slugs.

Last edited:
When I bought my 590A1 last 2016, the chamber was rusted and bead sight was canted. It was manufactured 2014. The mossberg accredited warranty center dealer in Canada had replaced the whole barrel.
I suggest get some copper wool (chore boy) and scrub the lead off that chamber and bore. Wrap it around a 20G bore brush.

Back