• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Stories that my Mom used to tell me -update pg 4 and 5

Thank you very much. I truly enjoy making things. Especially these things ;)

Well, I know this is a dated topic, but I submitted the paperwork to make a detachable/standalone rimfire can based on this design that I've been waiting on since Halloween day last year.

I was finally approved to make it and that's what I've been working on in what little spare time that I have had.

So, since I had always planned to share a similar design as this one, I also chose a model name to compliment the first one.

The integral suppressor model name was Brer Rabbit.

Well, I chose to use TAR BABY for this one since they compliment each other and go along with each other.

Long story short, I opted to use an AR15 buffer tube for the silencer body. Mainly because I like how it looks.

Obviously, I made a rear end cap to match the OD of the ar15 buffer tube, and I also machined in some grooves to make it easier to remove the endcap and to "fancy it up" a little more ;)

I haven't had the chance to make the guts yet, but the metal is ordered and I expect that I'll get to finish it early next week. But, so far, the tube and the endcap/mount is done so if it sounds as good as I think it looks, I will be standing in high cotton.

ACRHIoL.jpg

srp6P1c.jpg

Well, I know this is a dated topic, but I submitted the paperwork to make a detachable/standalone rimfire can based on this design that I've been waiting on since Halloween day last year.

I was finally approved to make it and that's what I've been working on in what little spare time that I have had.

So, since I had always planned to share a similar design as this one, I also chose a model name to compliment the first one.

The integral suppressor model name was Brer Rabbit.

Well, I chose to use TAR BABY for this one since they compliment each other and go along with each other.

Long story short, I opted to use an AR15 buffer tube for the silencer body. Mainly because I like how it looks.

Obviously, I made a rear end cap to match the OD of the ar15 buffer tube, and I also machined in some grooves to make it easier to remove the endcap and to "fancy it up" a little more ;)

I haven't had the chance to make the guts yet, but the metal is ordered and I expect that I'll get to finish it early next week. But, so far, the tube and the endcap/mount is done so if it sounds as good as I think it looks, I will be standing in high cotton.

ACRHIoL.jpg

srp6P1c.jpg
Go extra just a tad so its mag capable you'll be glad ya did

I don't have a 22 magnum, but I think it'll hold up to it. At least in small doses.

Go extra just a tad so its mag capable you'll be glad ya did

I have a buddy who has offered to give me a piece of 7068 aluminum rod for it to make the monocore out of.

While it is still aluminum, and the number of the grade of aluminum is somewhat counterintuitive because one would think that 7075 would be superior, but 7068 has greater strength than many carbon and stainless steels but with lighter weight of aluminum, so it will hold up and last a lifetime of hard use.

Here are some specs for 7068.

yield strength of 99 KSI (683MPa) it has the highest mechanical strength of all commercially available aluminum alloys (2.5 times stronger than 6061, and 35% stronger than 7075) and exceeds that of many steels. In fact, it’s yield strength is approaching that of pre-hardened (HRC 26-32) 4150 and 400 series stainless steels but at a third of the weight. In strength-to-weight ratio, Tennalum® 7068 out performs nearly all other engineering alloys in existence (33% better strength-to-weight performance than 7075, and 28% better performance than 6Al-4V Grade 5 Titanium). However, due to its higher cost (3-4 times that of 6061) and limited availability, it has seen very little commercial use. But for many applications there is no better alloy, not even Titanium.

Back