• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Top mounted laser?

Hi folks, need some recommendations for a top mounted laser to put on my Nightstick. I don't want the CT one. Laser needs to be 12ga. worthy and prefer the green but, not opposed to red. Thanks in advance! TW

I have the CT Laser Saddle in green and like it a lot.

I bought it during the rebate period so the cost was
close to the "full pop retail" red laser price.

Before the Laser Saddle was announced,
I was fully intending to go with the CT CMR-206.

I had intended to get a piece of rail (about $10)
and cut it down to fit the CMR-206 and finish the
cut edge with some "Birchwood Casey Aluminum Black Touch-Up".
(I have no experience with this product
but was going to try it anyway.)

Mount the hacked up rail to the Shockwave receiver.
Mount the CMR-206 upside down to the rail.
Go shoot 'em up.

Then the Laser Saddle was announced and I went that direction instead.

so ...

I can't say whether this is a good idea or not because I never tried it,
but it's an idea.

Any quality compact pistol laser will be more than up to the task. A 12ga shot gun is powerful, but the recoil impulse is slow. Compared to having a laser near the muzzle of a .40 S&W, a receiver-mounted laser on a shotgun is barely even getting used, much less punished. If your plan is to mount the laser to a rail on the top of the receiver, just make sure that you can activate it easily with your thumb.

I bought a CT Laser Saddle and it went bad in 2 days, without ever even having a round fired. The activation pads started working intermittently the first day, then not at all by day 2. I sent it back and went a completely different route: an upgraded front bead and a micro red dot sight. I know any manufacturer is bound to let a few bad units slip through QC, but when it comes to something I might count on to save the lives of my family, they don't get a second chance to make a first impression. I also refuse to buy guns (like Keltec pistols) that require extra work on a brand new gun to make them run right. If it doesn't function properly right out off the box, I'm not going to trust it to work in an emergency after it's been used for a while.

I installed a Streamlight TLR-2 HR laser/light combo on an after market rail/sidesaddle. There is a sighting channel under the rail on top for one to sight through in broad daylight or for whatever. I took the Shockwave to the range to test my at home "zero" of red laser dot at or equal to the front bead sight. It works fine but I have had to make slight laser adjustments after a few range sessions. Recoil, I guess? The TLR-2 is a first rate piece of kit so, I would highly recommend it. It is easy to quickly have too much stuff on the Shockwave given the gun's length but this is my bump in the night gun and it will see little to no trail use.

Back