• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Trying to save a buck

You could completely eliminate all your lighting and electronics and it wouldn't make as much difference as that water heater.
Heating appliances are the worst.

Back in the 70's when, I was out of work, I sold roof-top solar water heaters for a while. They were popular for heating pools and spas.

But they didn't make sense for replacing the home water heater unless you were housing the Brady Bunch.

In Kentucky they'd be useless half the year.

While we had the roof off I did more insulating in the attic, and it really helped. I still have one more bale to schlup up thru the hatch and lay out. Our ceiling insulation was not great, but I have doubled it over much of the house now, and intend to blow in some more.

Meanwhile . . .My patio aquarium has 450 watts of heat in the sump, and so I've added insulation board on all sides. Big difference in runtime.

While we had the roof off I did more insulating in the attic, and it really helped. I still have one more bale to schlup up thru the hatch and lay out. Our ceiling insulation was not great, but I have doubled it over much of the house now, and intend to blow in some more.
Still it's going to run a lot this winter unless I enclose the system in a sort of green house.
Now I just have to build it. I'll probably use a couple shower doors for the main access, and the sides will be built up of insulation board.

Anyhow, insulation is a big deal if you can add more.

Back about 5 years ago I guess, we had to put a new roof on the house. The wood was good, but the shingles were done for. They had been put on in probably 1985 before my wifes family had moved in.

So, we put a metal roof on the house.

The house already had blown in insulation about 16 inches thick in the attic, but I went 2 steps further when we replaced the roofing.

1. The metal roof that we had put on is a very light tan. Obviously, that stays a lot cooler than the dark brownish black tar paper shingles that was on the house in direct sun to start with. But underneath of the metal roofing and over top of the old shingles, we had a heat barrier installed that has a shiny reflective side plus the addition of air pockets, similar to shipping poppers. Or swimming pool thermal blankets.

During all of that, we were able to remove the two whirlybird vents.

The temp controlled fan that is in the attic has only kicked on one time since we have replaced the roofing as far as I am aware. I can usually hear it if it's running if I step onto the porch because the fan is pretty near the kitchen door.

All of that really lowered the heat in the attic. When we first moved in, I bet it stayed 115 or 120 degrees up there just about ALL summer long. It was miserable up there and you could only stay up there about 10 or 15 minutes before you'd have to come out. And the fan ran near constantly.

The last time that I had to get up in there, the little thermometer that was hanging up next to the fan said it was 92*. And the temperature outside was in the mid 80's, so if you want to do something to help with your cooling bill, look into that.

It sounds like enough insulation. :)
Our roof is concrete tile, and they have gaps, so the whole roof will breathe a lot from convection.
I don't have vents or fans, but I have ceiling hatches. They get a good draft on hot days if you crack them open.

Back