• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 500/590 Aftermarket Stock OPTIONS

Just got my new 500 tactical cruiser the other day, swapped out the pistol grip with a Magpul SGA stock. Fit perfectly and easy to install. Have not had a chance to shoot it but as a solid stock it feels very comfortable when shouldered. What I like is that you can add provided spacers to change the LOP.Cost me just over $100.00 www.magpul.com

Reactions: dwb
Hey everyone. I figured this would be the best place to start. I have a mossberg 500 that is currently being turned into a HD shotgun. I was going to put magpul furniture on the new shotgun but after reading this thread It seems maybe a Hogue 12 LOP stock would be a good choice. So my question is what do you guys prefer and what works? What are the pros and cons?

I have a 13" LOP Hogue stock on my M500 and love it. I've held the Magpul stock and to me the Hogue is just way more confortable. I started with a 12" but it was a tad too short. Kept hitting my cheek with the back of my thumb. 13" is just perfect. The Magpul feels nice too so I'll probably end up getting a set for my other M500.

I run the Hogue 12" LOP stock on three of my pumps...

These are the only stocks I use on my pump guns. Just one word of advice when you switch over though, be mindful of your trigger hand thumb when you fire with the new stock for the first time. If your thumb is wrapped over and around the stock like you normally would there is a pretty good chance you'll catch a knuckle in the cheek bone during recoil. It does not feel good at all. I have trained myself to align my thumb along the top of the receiver next to the safety to spare myself the black eyes...

I've only used the Hogue. Traditional style, rubber over molded grippy pebbled texture and very comfortable. The recoil pads are plush. Reasonably priced product relative to other options. It's an upgrade that makes sense and having used it I can't imagine not having it.

That said, there are some things I like about the Magpul that has me wanting to try it out. I like the adjustability in a traditional styled stock, the length of pull and comb height both can be changed. I also like the sling attachment points on it. Couldn't say about recoil pads but the Magpul stuff on an AR rifle is fine. I don't know about 12 ga recoil. The only other downside I can think of is cost. Less a downside or more like a deterent.

If I were buying right now, I'd buy Hogue.

I have a magpul stock on an H&R Pardner pump and I like it but the price is very much a factor. I dont mind the look but I know it adds weight to the gun and the sling mounts are useless unless your running a two point sling. I use a Single point so its not much help there. I may have to try a hogue

I had a Hogue on my 870 and I liked it but I have seen some people said that they did not like the rubber texture and was a little bit sticky and caught on the gear/clothes. also got the sga magpul stock on the Mossberg you have to trim some around the trigger housing in order to do a full break down by removing the trigger housing due to the sga stock fits just a little over the trigger group.

Put a Magpul SGA stock on my Mossberg 500, then added a Magpul adapter (MAG318). This allowed the AirTech Limbsaver pad (which was made for the Remington) to marry up with the Mossberg.
fb0c6efaaebd75ac020b58b8add4b242.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Attachments

• IMG_7056.JPG
    IMG_7056.JPG
    485.1 KB · Views: 21
Hi all. New here. I know this is an old topic but had a question. We really wanted as shorter length of pull for my HD shotgun. Have the Mossberg 500 zmb Edition. Just put the Phoenix Technologies kicklite stock on it. I am new to this making modifications thing. The problem is when I bought it I didn't realize I would have to take the stock off to clean out the trigger housing. And, I think I partially stripped the screw head putting the stock on. I guess my question would be is anyone have any hacks to get the trigger guard out without removing the stock on this one. thanks in advance for any help you all can give me.

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk

20190917_230354.jpg I run an old school military surplus ar style sliding stock. Also a 3 way picatinney rail. I prefer this over the newer m-lok stuff. Foregrip of course. Flashlight and laser is equipped. Can't forget the heat shield. Believe me, it's not just for show. Sorry traditional guys. And, I have another 500 with traditional stock and foregrip. I call her plain Jane. It is the one with the Proveil watchdog camo. Honestly they both have advantages and drawbacks. I do however run synthetic on all my guns. I live in Illinois where humidity, temperature change, and wear and tear will ruin a well used gun with wood. I prefer nickle or stainless weapons.

Last edited:
Promag PM111F

I picked up a Mossberg 500 from a police officer recently with a stock and grip that I couldn't identify for the longest time. I also couldn't get it off because I had to find out on my own that it required a 3/16 extended ball end allen wrench. There was zero information about it on google other than it was a discontinued product. So I'm making this post in case this happens to anyone else out there.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 19
OK, long and old thread, but it's a sticky, so I assume meant to be used!

I've read the raves about the Hogue stocks, but I can't find the 13" version mentioned a few years back, there is one that does not give the LOP, which I assume (could be wrong) is the factory-standard LOP, and then there is the 12" LOP model. I think I'm going to prefer about a 13" LOP and I note that the Thunder Ranch version of the 590 is exactly that.

I also agree with some of you fine folks who prefer wood. The LOP on the Mossberg 500 Bantam is, as luck would have it, 13". I cannot find that stock as a part on the Mossberg website (which surprises me because a dad who has a regular 12 gauge 500 might want a short stock for a kid without getting a whole new gun), but I would not be surprised if they'll sell it to me. To get matching wood, I might have to pop for a new forend, as well, but I thought I'd see if anyone else has just used the Bantam youth 12 gauge as a defensive gun with the 18.5" barrel?

Cheers,

John

Back