• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

New 500 help needed

1776MAGA

.22LR
Bought brand new 500 persuader. Foreend and slide/action bars are extremely loose. Rattles uncontrollably, movement all over the place. Twists from side to side about a 1/2 inch. I understand there is to be a little play, but this is ridiculously loose. Normal ? Is there a fix to this ? Mossberg customer service was useless. I'm concerned Recoil will rip snap Fore nd and bars off. Brought it in to Gander, they were not sure. No shotguns there were nowhere near this loose. This gun appears to be very cheap. Any fix recommendations would help. If this is normal will sell or discard this gun immediately. Thank you

Being able to twist the handguard is pretty standard regardless of what company made it. None are super tight, by design. Especially when it is extended all the way out. Not as much slop when it has the bolt cycled all the way to the rear.

Is the handguard retainer nut tight? That's probably the first thing that I would check.

Have you fired the gun yet? I have a hard time believing that it would snap off if you shot it.

Being able to twist the handguard is pretty standard regardless of what company made it. None are super tight, by design. Especially when it is extended all the way out. Not as much slop when it has the bolt cycled all the way to the rear.

Is the handguard retainer nut tight? That's probably the first thing that I would check.

Have you fired the gun yet? I have a hard time believing that it would snap off if you shot it.
Thanks for the reply, no It's unfired new in the box, this is my first shotgun. I will check schematic and locate the part you described. And yes Forend forward/ready to fire position is the extreme loosened I described, not so much when pulled towards receiver. I guess I will try to find gunsmith to look at it. But would like to save the money on service if possible. I did check out another 500 with stock at gander that wasn't anywhere near as loose as mine , which is why I think mine has some sort of issue. Thanks again.

I currently don't have a YouTube account due to it being run by communist filth, or any Google related accounts. There is no way to post a video on this site ? That's pretty poor. Just really curious as I won't be able to visit a gunsmith till Saturday, and would like multiple opinions. Honestly I don't feel safe firing this gun. Very disappointed.

I currently don't have a YouTube account due to it being run by communist filth, or any Google related accounts. There is no way to post a video on this site ? That's pretty poor. Just really curious as I won't be able to visit a gunsmith till Saturday, and would like multiple opinions. Honestly I don't feel safe firing this gun. Very disappointed.

Gunstreamer was very easy to sign up and load a video (just a couple of minutes) , I just did it for grins....but it`s not compatible with this site but you can hot link your video here....

https://gunstreamer.com/

https://gunstreamer.com/v/7qO6d8

OP,

Can you remove the forend with the slide bars attached and post some pics of then? If the slide bars are loose then they are probably not attached/secured correctly in the forend. Some investigation/observation of this particular sub assembly of the shot gun is a must do first step. It sucks that it's like this out of the box but is probably a pretty simple issue/fix.

What type forend does your gun have? There are two types, one is pinned and the other is with a action slide held on by a nut.

If you have the type with the nut make sure it is on correctly and tight.
forend nut 500.jpg

If you have the pinned type, check and make sure the "anti-rattle clip inside the forearm is in place.
forend pinned 2.jpg

Thanks guys, it's is the type with the nut, same as above. Excuse my ignorance to shotguns, this is my first. I would have to go on YouTube to learn to take it apart. But did take a video of it. I work third shift will try to post when I get off tonight. Then you will see what I'm talking about. And you can see slide bars moving all over the place while looking at receiver in the video. Thanks ya'll. You will hear back after midnight.

Hey guys, I'm at work but was wondering in response to Elbert Garrets post, what is hotlinking ? And how do I do it after I sign up to gunstreamer and post video of this gun to this site. I'm in my 40s and not very computer savvy as this is all being done on a cell phone. I'm very anxious to hear opinions after you guys see video. I'm itching hardcore to fire this gun.

CkJoXB

jNvuxXqij1wbgaN
trying to transfer video over from gunstreamer, won't let me, won't let me upload video to here either, just getting blank img icon. Unless someone can walk me through it. But for now, go over to gunstreamer.com it's under 1776MAGA mossberg 500 help needed. Tell me what you think, thanks again brothers in arms.

Back