• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Good morning

I've never tested the water. Nor checked the cycle. I had always just changed 1/2 the water every week. And totally changed it out every so often. I never thought that it would hurt them if they had nice clean water weekly.
I'm debating on what kind of fish I'd like to get again. All the fish I've had, were not picked by me. My grandson got fish for a present the first time for a birthday gift from his deadbeat dad. So, of course, I ended up taking care of em. They were at his moms house, but she was not taking care of them.
This time I'll pick.
Maybe a bunch of guppies. :giggle:

Rip, I love guppies, and I won't bag on your fishkeeping skills. It can be a very tricky business.

I change 50% every 3 days on some tanks, because I have too many fish. My systems can handle the ammonia but eventually build up with nitrates.
Depending on the biology a 90% change may be needed on occasion, but I do it slowly.
The best thing is really a drip system IMO. The water changes continually, from water in a conditioning tank.
This really allows you to control the chemistry.

Some tanks hardly ever need changing.
Some guy on YouTube named Dr. Kevin Novak has planted tanks with special filtration he doesn't change for 6 months.

If your water is rather hard or rather soft, it can pay to pick fish that need that type of water.
I have soft water, but some real hard water fish, and I put a lot of coral sand and crushed oyster shell in the tank.
It buffers the water, but slowly, so if I do a big change the pH and general hardness can swing suddenly.
I have to be careful about doing big changes. I will usually take an hour to do a change I could do in 10 mins with a hose.
If your fish are already infected, a big swing in pH can kill them.

If you bleach your tank and use new filters, it will take about a month to age it from scratch, and get the ammonia cycle going strong.
You can force this, by using cycled gravel, etc, which is already covered in healthy bacteria.
But if it's not 100% healthy you can be forcing the wrong stuff.

And if you add fish too quickly, the filter bacteria (most of the beneficial bacteria in a healthy tank live on the filters) can't bloom fast enough to keep up with increased waste.
This means increased water changes for you until the ammonia levels stabilize to zero, as the filters finally "cycle in".

What they call cycling or ammonia cycling, we used to call aging. We knew that a new tank would need to age, so we'd put one little fish in, and let it start the biology going.
After some aging, you can slowly add more fish, but never so much as to strain the bacteria. When the bacterial colony "chokes" from too much feces, ammonia isn't broken down and the fish get burned gills and weak kidneys. This "ammonia cycle" chemistry wasn't well known back when I started. We knew what to do but didn't know exactly why.

The thing is that fish can often be quite ill, yet recover with a water change and live for years.
But they will be forever weakened, and highly susceptible to some things a normal fish could survive without issue.
They will usually not grow quickly or breed well, once they have suffered from ammonia.

It's a big deal that the ammonia levels are never allowed to rise above the minimum.

Good morning Mossberg oilers.

It looks like the circulation pump on my dishwasher is failing. I took it out and turned it over, and I could immediately see carbon residue on the floor and motor. The brushes are burned up, and are not accessible for replacement without heroic efforts unworthy of a dishwasher.
The new pump/motor assembly is over $200. It also appears the inlet solenoid is balky, and Who knows how long the drain pump will last?

Anyhow I tossed it out and we will go find new one today.

I think we have one of the last profitable Sears stores in the nation in Clovis, and I will probably go there. There is a Lowes nearly right across the street, but our Sears always has better appliance prices.

I think all of our appliances were purchased there.

Time for a shower, then off to the mall. . .

Good morning all. I went to bed about midnight and could see flashes of lightning through the blinds. The rain started shortly thereafter and continued for hours. As a matter of fact I was awakened at 5 am by the thunder. Anyways, I think we have had 3 or 4 inches so far,and still have showers in the area.

Cadd, we just replace a dishwasher ourselves a couple of weeks ago. Bought a whirlpool from Lowes. The one we replaced was very old, at least 25 years. The new one is so quiet, if it were not for the lights on it you would not know it was running.

Rip, that restaurant looks like a nice place to spend a little time now and then.

You all have a great day.

3 or 4 inches? I could have just sat the dishes on the patio.

Our last dishwasher went about 7 years, but the previous one went for 10.

The new one is waiting for us to pick up, but my Mrs is still at the hairdresser.

The GE we just tossed was very quiet. It also took forever. Like twice as long as previous washers.

The really long cycle on the GE was 241 minutes! That's 4 hours!
Mostly we ran it at night, but it was quiet.

Well I bought a Bosch and already I have reservations. The installation manual sux. They sell you a special Bosch power cord, which you don't need if you have 3 wire nuts and a strain relief (which they don't give you.)

Anyhow it's unpacked and ready to hook up, and my wife is ready to wash. I just drove cross-town twice, and bought and loaded and unloaded and unpacked.
Now I'm having a beer break before I cut my cabinet. The plug they sell you is too fat for a 1.5" hole.

The washer we replaced was a GE built in 1982. In all fairness though, it was used once a week for 7 months of the year as it was in the condo at the lake. Sometimes not even that much. So, maybe 24-25 washes per year.

On another note, after rereading your pre previous post, yep, could have put a little soap on the dishes and set them on the back porch.

Good morning Elbert, good morning everyone. The clouds are gone and we have a beauty of a morning. 73 degrees with a southerly breeze of 15 mph. The high later today should be mid 80s.

We are heading to the lake this afternoon and it should be about the same there.

Have a great day and stay vigilant.

Good morning Elbert, good morning everyone. The clouds are gone and we have a beauty of a morning. 73 degrees with a southerly breeze of 15 mph. The high later today should be mid 80s.

We are heading to the lake this afternoon and it should be about the same there.

Have a great day and stay vigilant.

I think were gettin your T-storms. It's supposed to rain all day. I think I will go make mud pies.

Good Lord, Sunday is here, and it is a feast today for man and beast alike.

garkid.jpg
That was from the fishing forum.

This is my beast:
bmo.jpg

Dalmation Molly fry.
fr5.jpg

There are about 40 Mollies of various sizes now, and half a dozen of these yellow guppies. There are also silver and blue ones.
fr4.jpg

With the 16 gal full of fry, my office has changed again.
fr3.jpg

fr2.jpg

Back