• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Hold on to your Colt.

Sounds like a pure business decision. In addition to a backlog of military and law enforcement orders Colt recently secured a $41M overseas order across 14 countries. Seen reports they are currently producing 700 per day to satisfy existing orders.

Guess my other point is have you looked at your local gun store lately. The shelves around here are loaded with both new and used AR-15s from every manufacture and assembly house across the country. Many of the assembly house are out of business due to market glut and low prices.

Suspect prices will rise as we get closer to the 2020 election and ensuing panic over 2nd amendment rights.

Colt did similar leading up to the '94 AWB too.

For years, I resisted buying a Colt. Only recently have I changed that. The absolute biggest reason is the big sale that Brownells had on Christmas day a few years ago for complete M4 lowers for $179, which was too hard for me to resist. Then I got a surplus SOCOM upper, pinned/welded a Phantom flash hider on it to bring it to legal length completing the package for about $650 total all in and the rest is history.

And the $89 stripped COMPETITION lower that I got from Classic Firearms that I built up into my retro'ish rifle.

I have recently seen NIB SOCOM's going for stupid money upwards of $3k. I thought of selling mine, I'm not going to lie, but it's the best shooting AR that I have. Despite the chrome lined barrel. I may kick myself for not selling it later, then again, maybe not.

The absolute biggest reason is the big sale that Brownells had on Christmas day a few years ago for complete M4 lowers for $179, which was too hard for me to resist. Then I got a surplus SOCOM upper, pinned/welded a Phantom flash hider on it to bring it to legal length completing the package for about $650 total all in and the rest is history.
Nice :)

If I were in the market to buy or build another AR-15/M-4, which I'm not, I'd certainly look at the testing of individual components. The vast majority of today's offerings are certainly manfactured to government mil-spec standards. Are there manufactures who make weapons which exceed mil-spec tolerances? Absolutely, but they don't come cheap.

In my opinion, individual component testing is actually more important given that most components today meet mil-spec standards. The real question you should ask is, does the manufacture test each and every article or do they rely on batch testing where maybe only one component out of a hundred is tested?

Assembly houses typically procure components from various vendors and in many cases intermix components from different vendors on their assembly lines. I'd be suprised if any of these "assembly houses" conduct their own in-house batch testing of components they buy. I've seen assemble house uppers that only underwent functional test firirg of two rounds before shipping to dealers.

While the old saying, you get what you pay for is true! You should also look at the cost vice the benefit. There are many $3000 plus weapons sitting in safes which will never see an operational scratch or ding and may not get shot more than once a year. Guess there's nothing wrong with this if you can afford it but these weapons, in my opinion, are tools just like other hand tools we typically use every day. And, in most cases it takes several hundred or even thousand rounds to "wear in" the weapon, especially the BCG and trigger group.

Again in my opinion, most folks would be better off buying a fully tested weapon and lots of ammo. If you're really doing tactical drills the weapon is going to get dinged, scratched up, and dirty. But in the end you will know if you can count on it if a bad situation ever arises!

Regards

Back