• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg Serial Number Data Base

Thank you for posting your numbers. I will update our data base.

My first Mossberg as well.
Serial number: MV6851xx
Model: Maverick 88 - 28" barrel
Manufactured: January 2008

Model 500AG 12ga
Serial number J144xxx

From Mossberg:

Hi David,
That serial number predates our electronic records, but I can say it falls within the J serial number manufactured in 1984. If you have further questions or concerns feel free to contact us again.

Sincerely,
Customer Service Team
O.F. Mossberg & Sons, Inc.​

I am the third owner of a 590A1. I believe it is a Model 51663. The serial number is T680xxx.

I think that puts the date of manufacture to sometime in 2010…

Thank you for posting your numbers. I'll update our data base.

Yes it's a 2010.

Mossberg 500A, J845xxx, Decmber 1986.

I bought it from a gentleman in my church for $150 with over 50rds of Winchester Super X 1oz Rifled Slug. Came with the original 24" cylinder bore slugster and 28" vent rib accu-choke barrel combo. Everything is in about 90-99% condition. Said that he no longer wanted to hunt or shot and took up grilling and smoking meat as a hobby. My shotgun was the last one he owned. He still has a 1911 45 but that's it. He was waiting for the right person to come along to hand it over. His children were never interested in shooting. He wanted somebody that he knew would take care of it and respect it. He found that right guy.

Welcome. Congrats on your "new to you" Mossy.

Thank you for posting your numbers. I'll update our data base.

Welcome. Thank you for posting your numbers. I'll update our data base.

Hi, newbie here, but not to Mossberg shotguns. Own a few 500-A's and a 590. But my crown jewel of shotguns is my 1st I ever owned.

It's a Mossberg 395KB 12ga, bolt action w/2 rd mag. Has the select choke (or Poly-choke as some would call it), takes 2 3/4 & 3 inch shells.
Shoots like a dream, trained all 3 boys with it, smooth as silk. Even the Ex-wife loved shooting it, low recoil, easy to handle & not heavy to shoulder.
Had it parkerized grey (on a whim), few decades back. I still have it, although it's a wall hanger these days, haven't fired it in about that long a time.

Since I was snooping around this forum, spotted this thread, pulled my Mossbergs out to check years of production etc.

But I can't for the life of me find anything on the 395KB's & certainly not mine.

Serial number reads: 1039XXX, that's it, nothing else there, but numbers & 7 of 'em to boot ....

Ex-wife (aren't women great to remember stuff we don't?), re-calls I paid $50 for it & she claims it even came with a box of ammo (!!!), memory like a steel vise.... All I know it's the best 50$ I ever spent.

According to the chart posted here, back in '68 the S/N range was "64681", year they started serializing guns. This of course, due to the passing of the Gun Control Act (GCA or GCA68), of 1968.

Also, why is 1969 blank, there was no production that year or no data listed for that year? Please clarify this point...thanks.

Haven't called Mossberg & Sons yet. Should I give them a call & see what they have on it?

Thought I'd ask here first.... Anyone know anything that could lead to a proper year of production?

Thanks it's much appreciated!

Welcome. You might want to give Vic and Cheryl Havlin a call (636) 937-6401. They are the pros when it comes to older Mossbergs.
Keep us posted.

Maverick 88 Security 12GA 18.5"
Serial #: MV79XX6 B (1989 ??)

1 action bar on the forearm
Receiver only has the serial # on it and only 1 slot (left side) for action bar

Mossberg replied in an email stating it was manufactured in the 80's
Another person on this forum had a 699XX with an "A" at the end of his serial number and I believe that was the 1st year (1988 ?)

I'd go with Mossberg on this one.
You might want to give the Havlins a call (636) 937-6401.

Back