• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

590A1 trigger damaged?

leavinc

Copper BB
Hey everyone,

I was disassembling my 590A1 and while pulling the trigger assembly out of the receiver, I accidentally pulled the trigger and the hammer dry fired.

I always leave the safety on during disassembly, but it didn't help here because the trigger assembly was already part of the way out.

I know you're not supposed to dry fire the trigger when removed so I'm just worried that it may have damaged the trigger assembly in some way.

After reassembling, I tested everything for proper function and everything appears to work. I even cut a shell and removed the shot and powder and fired just the primer in my garage to make sure the hammer would still ignite a primer and it did.

Am I being overly paranoid? Or should I not worry about it?

Usually with most firearms the concern with dry firing is accelerated wear when the hammer is dropped without any resistance. I doubt you'd hurt it unless you made a habit of it.

Thank you all for the replies.

I'm not going to worry about it.

One other thing I'm slightly concerned about is how the little "ears" on the trigger assembly in front get kind of rounded off by pulling the trigger assembly out and installing it.

As far as I can see, there's really no way around it because the front of the trigger assembly goes into the slots in the receiver. They are the same thickness as the slots are wide so when the trigger assembly is pulled up and out at any angle, it rounds off the corners slightly.

I'm sure this isn't as noticable on the polymer trigger assemblies but on my metal one on the 590A1, you can see where the corners that were square have been rounded off and silver bare metal is now seen.

You’re over thinking it. It’s not porcelain doll. It’s the military version used and abused by service men.

Shoot it. Often.

One thing the Mossberg shotguns are renowned for is their ability to be kicked around in the dirt and keep on functioning.
Don't let it stress ya.
I bought a Mossberg 500 tactical that was an ex cruiser ( police gun) and it was abused and has blue missing all over it, I did have to replace the cartridge stop to take care of a feeding issue but 10 bucks later and this old dog still barks !

PS
That Cartridge stop looked as if someone assembled the weapon incorrectly and then tried to jam the slide taking a chunk of metal from the stop.
(user error) just say'n

Back