• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Good morning

The only kind of golf I've ever played was miniature golf put-put with my kids. Never had the time for that.

I worked at 2 golf courses. That's where I learned the lawncare trade and also how to apply chemicals. We always had time to play if the course wasn't too crowded. I never got good, and the bigger my pot belly got the higher my score got. I thought about making my clubs with a big bend in the shaft but I just gave up and quit. It was fun while it lasted.

I think we've had 9 GD cats over 30 years altogether, and I have stepped in my share of hairballs and vomit.

I will often tell my wife that the cat has "puked on the rug again . . ." and she always gives the same stupid response.
"Why didn't you clean it up?"

When MY cat pukes on the rug, I'LL clean it up.

Of course I own fish, and they don't puke up hairballs on the floor. Dogs neither.

My wife has this blind spot about cats. We all have these little blind spots where we pretend not to see what's going on.

I developed mine when my wife said she'd get rid of me before her cat.

My blind spot is I don't see any of her efforts in caring for the cats, until one dies. At that point I will dig a hole.
But I don't "do" cats, and I would just get rid of them myself, except she'd mope for a week until she got a new one.

If she didn't like dogs and tolerate fish, well, I might have a different address.

Good morning All!

Last edited:
Good morning all.Clear skies and 52, and breezy.

My golf experience lasted three rounds with three friends in 1973 or 74. After waiting for me on every hole they asked me if I would mind just driving the cart. LOL. That was fine with me as that is where the cooler was.

Cats ? I have had a couple over the years, but always preferred dogs.

That lever looks ready to go to work Sniffler

I remember lye soap at my grandma's, but it was over 65 years ago and I do not remember any details.

Have a great day and stay vigilant.

Good morning all.Clear skies and 52, and breezy.
. . . I remember lye soap at my grandma's, but it was over 65 years ago and I do not remember any details. . . .

I have a bar with lye and kerosene or similar. It was too harsh for the dogs so my wife gave it to me.
I think it's for ticks, but I use it for grease.

Speaking of grease, I decided I had the front of my truck a bit too high, and I let it down a bit today.

Every inch taller I made the truck, I lost 1 mpg on the freeway. Plus it handled like a shopping cart.

I had the chassis wedged high on the driver's side, and I dropped that back an inch. I'm going to drop the right a 1/2" by adding a counter weight.
If I like this, after alignment, I will replace the weight with a set of heavy tools or a second battery, or both.

I also want to add a water tank under the right sill, to partially balance the fuel tank.
The LHD toyotas have the driver, battery and fuel all on the left, and the muffler and tailpipe on the right.
It's hardly a fair load unless you put two passengers on the right, or a good load in the back.

This truck is so light in the front that the weight of the truck doesn't mask the weight of the passengers (or lack thereof) against the suspension responses.

Or in common terms, it steers like a shopping cart with just a driver and a good tank of gas.

So I cast a 45lb lead ingot today, and it'll simulate a spare battery inside the right fender, for testing purposes.
I actually want to take 2 batteries out of my boat to lighten it, and I might put both in the truck, plus the water.

Now I'm having a Central Coast 805, and waiting for my meatloaf to finish baking and my lead ingot to cool.
805 is like a Guinness Extra Stout, without the coffee flavor, but plenty stout.
I don't know if it's sold outside of California.
We have 450 breweries and 1700 wineries registered in the state. Booze is a big biz.

@hombre243

I have been struggling with the concept of putting glass on the 45-70 Marlin lever, and have been considering other things like laser and projection devices too.

But what I'd like to have is a more antique style peep sight.

RE: Antique peep:I looked at the Lyman receiver sights and none are made to fit Mossberg lever guns because the screws in the tang of the rifle are spaced so that the tang of the sight and the screws of the sight interfere with each other. But, If I made a wild guess, with your knowledge and abilities with this stuff, it may be possible to find one that will work. I do remember the reason a Marlin fitted sight won't work is because the forward screw on the sight is partially on top of the top tang safety on the Mossy. I also wonder if the sight would interfere with the bolt. I don't now anyone else who might make one. I am not sure I like the Skinner. My eyes may demand the scope. But I have time to work at that. lymanproducts.com will get you to their site.

Cadd, here is an interesting link:
https://montanavintagearms.com/sights/

and aa search page: https://search.yahoo.com/search?p=who+makes+antique+type+receiver+sights&fr=opensearch

Last edited:
Good Mornin . . . trash day today . . .
I slept much better last night. I've been sleeping poorly because I'm eating too much in the evenings.
Eating any fatty foods after 6PM is bad juju for me.

Plus I have not been skating. I need to spruce up my gear a bit, clean bushings and oil the wheels.
Once I get the truck aligned, I will be much more inclined to skate. I need to drop 10 lbs by the Christmas party or I won't fit my best suit. I only dress up for funerals and the Christmas party.

@hombre243
Tang sights won't work very well on bolt guns, will they?
The Marlin is more flat on top. Top-mount would be required.
The Mossberg could use a bridge, but might not be necessary.

@meanstreak
You gotta go 25 miles for gas?. I have just 1/2 mile. :)

I decided my lead ingot was too large. It is now only 36 lb after trimming and still won't quite fit.
I'm off to find my Dremel. It must fit today.

I am going also to cast a larger thin sheets, as thick foil, which I can trim and form to a shape of the available space on the fender.
I can layer them together, after forming and do a "plug" solder.

My old buddy is out of the hospital and doing a bit better. He wants to go shoot on Tuesday, and I may get to cast some slugs before then.

Hope you all are having fun with lead. ;)

Good Mornin . . . trash day today . . .
I slept much better last night. I've been sleeping poorly because I'm eating too much in the evenings.
Eating any fatty foods after 6PM is bad juju for me.

Plus I have not been skating. I need to spruce up my gear a bit, clean bushings and oil the wheels.
Once I get the truck aligned, I will be much more inclined to skate. I need to drop 10 lbs by the Christmas party or I won't fit my best suit. I only dress up for funerals and the Christmas party.

@hombre243
Tang sights won't work very well on bolt guns, will they?
The Marlin is more flat on top. Top-mount would be required.
The Mossberg could use a bridge, but might not be necessary.

@meanstreak
You gotta go 25 miles for gas?. I have just 1/2 mile. :)

I decided my lead ingot was too large. It is now only 36 lb after trimming and still won't quite fit.
I'm off to find my Dremel. It must fit today.

I am going also to cast a larger thin sheets, as thick foil, which I can trim and form to a shape of the available space on the fender.
I can layer them together, after forming and do a "plug" solder.

My old buddy is out of the hospital and doing a bit better. He wants to go shoot on Tuesday, and I may get to cast some slugs before then.

Hope you all are having fun with lead. ;)

Cadd, I was thinking you wanted a peep for the lever gun. Where did I go wrong? Now I went and drug ya down the wrong path. Let's start over. I don't remember you mentioning a bolt gun. Now I'm lost.

We have gas stations everywhere, almost every street corner. If I'm in the car that works fine. If I'm on the bike I like to skip a bunch of them, then turn around and come back to the closest one. It's only two blocks away so I get home with a full tank.

Cadd, I was thinking you wanted a peep for the lever gun. Where did I go wrong? Now I went and drug ya down the wrong path. Let's start over. I don't remember you mentioning a bolt gun. Now I'm lost.

Yes, but levers move a bolt on all of mine.
I think tang mounts are for a falling block rifle.
Leverguns need something else.

20190313_131442.jpg

Sorry about the crappy photo, but the Henry & my Marlin can both use this type mount with short Vernier, a broader peep & windage.
On the 30 cal the top eject is an issue.

I made a relieved bridge for my first .30-30 scope rings.
20160206_223900.jpg

Then I found these Thompson style and modded them.
20160524_004438.jpg

Yes, but levers move a bolt on all of mine.
I think tang mounts are for a falling block rifle.
Leverguns need something else.

View attachment 21895

Sorry about the crappy photo, but the Henry & my Marlin can both use this type mount with short Vernier, a broader peep & windage.
On the 30 cal the top eject is an issue.

I made a relieved bridge for my first .30-30 scope rings.
View attachment 21896

Then I found these Thompson style and modded them.
View attachment 21897

https://www.lymanproducts.com/brands/lyman/sights Problem with this tang sight on a 464 is it sits too close to the tang safety.

Did you see these? Can you make anything work?
https://www.lymanproducts.com/brands/lyman/sights/2-tang-sights

Last edited:
Happy Friday!

index.php

I hope y`all have a great weekend!

Back