• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

$1000 to spend... what should I do????

Long story, but relevant to this Henry .44 Magnum lever gun thread and Mossberg in general.

So I recently had two dogs kill some of our ducks. Kathy and I were in the kitchen getting ready to leave for work when she heard a commotion out in the yard. She looked and yelled "David there are two dogs killing the ducks!"

I burst out the door and the big pitt bull and the husky bolted off down our long driveway. I could have probably hit them with my duty sidearm but I wasn't processing what had actually happened. As a dog lover I hesitated. Kathy was just crying and sobbing as I picked up the dead and wounded. It was an awful moment. Kathy was trembling and unable to speak. She eventually composed herself and we put the ducks that were still alive back in their enclosure and started to leave for work.

And I hadn't backed my patrol car maybe fifteen feet when I looked sadly toward our ducks and damn those two dogs had circled back again and were pawing at the enclosure. They were there to kill just for sport. And I instantly knew that they would never be kept away by their stupid owners who never restrain them. They were going to come again and again. So out I came from the patrol car with an AR-15 in my hands and I effin' murdered the frock out of them from about 25 yards. They dropped like sacks wet cement and I pumped a couple more into their heads because I was frocking angry. All copper Barnes TAC-X 62-grains at @3200-fps spray blood and guts far and wide.

We LOVE dogs, have owned them for decades and never want to see anyone's dog hurt. I'm a cop who searches for signs of animal abuse and neglect and help prosecute people who abuse any animal.

Heck our dogs are are family. Even sleep with us some nights. But I completely changed my mind that day. Some dogs just do need eradicated when they encroach my property.

So the two neighbors who owned the dogs searched high and low for their dogs but they never found them.

And now one neighbor has TWO huge adult pitt bull dogs and the other has gotten another adult husky. This time for now at least they are chained up.

I just put my Henry .44 Magnum rifle at the front door and a Mossberg 590 20" GRS with a weapon light and full of eight LE127 9-pellet buck by the kitchen door.

If these new dogs ever come around on my property interested in my farm livestock I just might murder them as well. I just don't know, as every dog is different.

My farm. My decision.

Shitty owners breed shitty dogs.

Well that's an awful Shame about the ducks.

I couldn't get around blasting dogs with an AR hereabouts and not wake up in jail. Fortunately we haven't had any problems with stray dogs.

By the way, out here we call it extermination, if it's a dog or cat or pretty much anything dangerous or verminous, except a human being.

Nite, I would not call that murder, I'd call it protecting your property. I love dogs as well, but I also think dog owners should be responsible, or not have them.

Anyway, I think you handled it appropriately.

This article LINK may be of interest.

Too bad about the dogs but once they've tasted blood and had the "fun" of killing, they will keep coming back. People don't hear as much "bad" about Huskies as they do Pitbulls, but they kill also.

A buddy of mine had a Husky going on in years, maybe 10 or 11. This dog would walk miles to his mother's house then back. Animal Control would mostly ignore him because he was street smart and didn't bother anybody. And no, he was not fenced or tied up. But one day a little girl was walking a little foofie dog past the house and the Husky calmly walked out of the gate and over to the little girl and her dog, grabbed the dog in its mouth and shook it until dead! :eek: My buddy claimed he had never done anything like this before and ended up buying the girl a new dog but you can only imagine the trauma she may have experienced. :sad: Not long after, he started finding dead cats in the yard and not long after that, they found the dog dead by the side of the road on the way to his mother's house. Maybe doggy senility?

Another story: I had a Rott/Shep mix female. Great dog and very loyal. Snap my fingers and she would be right by my side. Point my finger and go "pow" and she would play dead. If she lifted her head I'd go "pow" again and she'd lower it.

Anyhow, She and I went to look at a truck on a farm and the kids asks me if my dog attacks chickens. "I don't know" was my truthful reply. About a minute later we hear a commotion over by the chicken coop and there is my dog swinging a chicken in her mouth! :eek: "ALEX!" I yell and she drops the chicken and skulks back to my car, feathers still sticking out of her mouth... :D Chicken was OK but truck was not so I didn't buy it.

Last edited:
Back