• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

cartridge stop

lonestarjeff

Supporter
Any ideas how to cure this problem? It doesn't seem to be related to any particular brand or weight cartridge.

bKIOKcOb.jpg

Have you examined the follower?
My 500 came new with some rust in the tube and the follower was sticking.
It would "trap" the shells too tight in the tube some times, and the stop would get hung.

Have you examined the follower?
My 500 came new with some rust in the tube and the follower was sticking.
It would "trap" the shells too tight in the tube some times, and the stop would get hung.
After reading this, I pulled the tube & checked for dents, rust, etc. The follower was a bit gummy, but no problems with the tube. No burrs on the stop. Even with the plastic follower clean there is steady resistance. Not enough to make it hang, but slow it down.

Hmm..
Mine has a metal follower. I didn't know they made plastic ones.

@Water Monkey posted about bending the stop (or the interrupter? I can't remember which part he he bent) to prevent hanging.

My gun didn't have this problem, but I think that anyone can develop it if you try to rack the gun too hard when you have a jam.

But as I recall it was a very easy fix after you disassemble the gun.

We'll see if cleaning the tube & follower makes any difference. If not, I may try the WaterMonkey treatment next.

Well if you ever had a hard Jam I would take a good look at those action rods and make sure that they are not misshapen.

I wonder if anyone has ever put titanium action rods in these guns?

Back