• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Maverick 88 7+1 with no sling swivell in stock!

Hello! I recently purchased a maverick 88 fde 7+1 for $219 and thought it would be great and also i have one problem on the stock where theres a cut out for a drill swivel install i was told to go to a gunsmith to have it done or i could do it! So i really like to have a sling on my maverick 88 so i oreder this uncle mikes detachable sling swivels from amazon and i watched a YouTube video how to diy it and ill post the link here and so i visit a gunsmith and showed him what i wanted for my maverick 88 and said that will not work and i showed him the uncle mikes swivel parts and it says also for mossberg 500 shotguns and the maverick 88 and he said it will just pull out with the sling and will have to put in a piece of wood or find a new stock and it will crack and i showed him the youtube video how to and he said well i need to find the man on youtube and he offered me a solution to put a sling on the stock like a three point sling and on the tube but cant shoot it with it on and would have to take it off when im ready to shoot!

So i watched the youtube video where he drills the bit he had two bits and dont know what sizes and how big they are then he out the big swivel screw and put the small one of the tube and the sling and in the comments he saidnhe hasnt had a problem with it and it works and the gunsmith told me it will not work with the synthetic stock but will with a wood stock but my 590 shockwave has screwed in swivels and its brand new and so as my maverick 88 fde and i dont know what to do i would really like to somehow put a sling on my maverick 88!

Any help thoughts or suggestions?

And here's the YouTube video i was talking about

Also i really like this maverick 88 fde 7+1 since inhad a hard time finding a shotgun that hold 7+1 hate to just sell it if i cant put a sling and swivel on it cause i looked for a mossberg maverick 88 fde stock with a installed swivel and no luck!

Attachments

• 4EFA288A-7D0A-4886-92A8-93382BFAD9C3.jpeg
    4EFA288A-7D0A-4886-92A8-93382BFAD9C3.jpeg
    206.3 KB · Views: 27
  • 0830368E-E5E0-4663-A5B0-932BE39A5846.jpeg
    0830368E-E5E0-4663-A5B0-932BE39A5846.jpeg
    150.9 KB · Views: 27
  • 754187F4-4C84-4075-A271-48D6764C63A4.jpeg
    754187F4-4C84-4075-A271-48D6764C63A4.jpeg
    213.5 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
No but it has the cut where you can drill the hole but a guy at a gun shop told me that the swivels wont work it will come out and would need to put a piece of wood inside the stock or buy a new stock but i posted the YouTube video link and would like to know what drill bit sizes he used and is it safe?

Installing a sling swivel stud in the stock isn't a big deal. Locate the stud in a location similar to factory location or put it where you want. Use the "wood screw" thread style (not the machine screw thread style) and use a drill bit a tiny bit smaller than the inside dimension of the screw thread. Carefully screw in straight and don't overtighten--only tighten enough to get the swivel to line up. If the stud pulls out, then you will have to go with plan "B" as mentioned by the gun shop guy.

There was a guy on here the other day saying that he recently got an aftermarket stock for his 88. I bet maybe you can find someone like that who would give you a good deal on their original stock that came pre-drilled. Surely it’d fit yours.
Or buy some swivels and drill a hole. Uncle Mike’s get poor reviews.

A synthetic stock is hollow and in certain spots is quite thin, so it could very well pull out under a strain. I think the gunsmith is correct.

Because when done at the factory they know exactly where to drill at the thickest part.

Because when done at the factory they know exactly where to drill at the thickest part.
This is a factory Maverick 88 5+1 stock. Does your stock have the little cut away section with a little “nipple” on it, and the nipple doesn’t have a hole? Or is it just flat, no nipple, no cutaway? If it’s just flat with no “nipple” to drill into, then yeah, there’s no place to make a hole. If that’s the case, get the Maverick stock that has the “nipple” with the hole already in it.
If it has that little nipple then drill a hole in that mofo.

Attachments

• 55124EA1-F8B5-4E24-9C6B-0D95A01BDDA5.jpeg
    55124EA1-F8B5-4E24-9C6B-0D95A01BDDA5.jpeg
    231 KB · Views: 12
  • E98A2AB9-1B58-427A-9570-EAEDF95A85D2.jpeg
    E98A2AB9-1B58-427A-9570-EAEDF95A85D2.jpeg
    191.8 KB · Views: 12
This is a factory Maverick 88 5+1 stock. Does your stock have the little cut away section with a little “nipple” on it, and the nipple doesn’t have a hole? Or is it just flat, no nipple, no cutaway?

It would appear that the FDE stock does not have a sling swivel lug. The black one does.

31046.png

31048_8shot_FDE.png

It can certainly be done without much problem but it may require internal reinforcement if the area drilled it too thin.

Yeah I see now that it doesn’t have the loop molded into it. So drilling is probably a no go. I was thinking that it had the loop where the swivel could go just that the loop didn’t have a hole in it.

What I was pointing to is that there is a "flat" where a screw-in swivel would go. Let me look at my guns to see if I can get a better pic...

You can drill in that spot where it is cut out. inside the stock in that area it is thicker, mossberg made it thicker there so you can drill into it. do not drill anywhere else on the stock, just at the cut out area, it is made to be drilled there. How do I know this? I bought a black 88 a few years ago that had the cutout, I called mossberg and they told me. but I still had to see so I took the recoil pad off and well it was thicker ther, plenty thick to hold any swivel. so drill in that flat area and you will be fine.

I think that gunsmith is full of it. The part of your synthetic stock under that flat is not hollow, it is solid synthetic material, tough as h*ll. Just be sure you use a WOOD threaded swivel screw and NOT a MACHINE threaded screw, drill a small pilot hole, and pay attention to how deep you went before the drill started turning freely with no resistance .... your stock is solid to that depth. Next, do exactly like the guy in the video did ... measure the diameter of your swivel screw shank (between the threads) and get a drill bit that diameter. Drill your hole and insert your swivel screw. Done.

Back