• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Need a safety detention ball bearing

Jmm14534

20g
Premier Member
All,
I was out on the sporting clays course today with my 500 flex pump and the safety came loose and shut me down. After inspection in the man cave (garage) looks liker the safety retention screw Had loosened up to the point that the safety would engage every shot under recoil. Good news is that it started to pour rain and we high tailed it to the apres shoot watering hole anyway. Bottom line after careful inspection is that I need a new ball bearing detent for the safety mechanism. Anyone have some spares, I’ll pay for parts and US post.

image.jpg

You might try calling Mossberg customer support. They may just send you one free of cost.

Both MidwayUSA and Brownells have them for sale.

Midway wants $5 for that tiny little ball bearing. https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1005517326?pid=164336

Brownells wants $6.69 for it.

Tip 1: When you go to re-install it, put a dab of grease on top of the spring to hold the ball in place. It sure beats trying to find that little sucker if it gets away from you.

Tip 2: Use blue locktite on that screw so it doesn't happen again.

These are 0.125" diameter bearings, measured mine last night when I replaced the safety lever with a machined aluminum part.

An easy cheap resource is McMaster Carr. a bag of 50 for $6.48. These are also stainless steel.

https://www.mcmaster.com/9642k29
Thanks 00 Buck. I found a couple of spares on eBay that includes a low profile SHCS and an Allen key for $3.99 with free shipping.

I was going to day eBay also.

When you install the new one do it on short tuft carpet so if you drop the ball it can't go far.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Yes 00 Buck the low profile SHCS is great. Better than the funky one Mossberg uses, especially for the aftermarket pro mag safety selector I have installed. I actually had a low profile SHCS on the gun already courtesy of a member on this forum.
Installation time was no more than 5 minutes and I put a small dab of red loctite on the fastener to hopefully eliminate the problem. Plus now I have a few spare balls, a spare Allen key and a spare fastener.

Careful with that red on small fasteners, that's strong stuff.

I upgraded the safety selector too. I used the NDZ Performance.

up8hLJh.jpg

Careful with that red on small fasteners, that's strong stuff.

I upgraded the safety selector too. I used the NDZ Performance.

up8hLJh.jpg
Nice looking shot gun 00 Buck. Love red on black look. Reminds me of my M&P Shield carry pistol.

image.jpg

I’ve thought about replacing the follower on my Mossy pumps but have not “pulled the trigger” yet. Let’s us know how yours performs.

I debated red vs blue loctite but I really don’t want this to happen again and I’m good with the set up so if it lasts forever I’m happy.

I used red mainly for the follower, so it can be seen really easily. They also have the machined center and it can be felt when there isn't a shell there.

I actually ended up splitting the plastic safety lever so I could remove the safety screw holding it. I tried the tap and twist method, but it wasn't moving. I split it away, and could then grab the head of the screw with pliers to remove it.

Here's the red follower in place.

P8Uled0.jpg

I’ve thought about replacing the follower on my Mossy pumps but have not “pulled the trigger” yet. Let’s us know how yours performs.

I debated red vs blue loctite but I really don’t want this to happen again and I’m good with the set up so if it lasts forever I’m happy.

I put a MCARBO stainless steel follower in my 500. Needed the assistance of a gunsmith to defeat the yellow loctite Mossberg used to hold the magazine tube in. I don't have many metal working skills. The stainless is much easier to see and rides smooth in the tube.

And if you use loctite blue is the way to go if you have to ever disassemble.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Back