• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Walnut Stock Patriot stain

Hello I’m trying to figure out what stain mossberg used on the walnut stocked Patriot guns.
Less then a month ago I bought a new Patriot and while trying to sight in a new vortex scope that turned out to be junk, the brand new Caldwell lead slead I bought damaged the stock!
Mossberg said they don’t cover cosmetic issues and they don’t sell the stain... I mean it’s only a $250 stock, who would ever want to fix scratches and dings?
I’m one of the weirdos that would like to fix my new gun so any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!

Attachments

• FC39AB02-1C8E-451C-B6BA-4D4CD5135773.jpeg
    FC39AB02-1C8E-451C-B6BA-4D4CD5135773.jpeg
    292 KB · Views: 8
  • 7BDCB4AE-F605-465B-ADB2-5540638B3E9C.jpeg
    7BDCB4AE-F605-465B-ADB2-5540638B3E9C.jpeg
    255.1 KB · Views: 8
You might send pictures to the maker of the lead sled. They can't fix it but might pay for having Mossberg fix the stock.

Thank you for the reply!
That is a good idea but I think it’s more of the “checkered” design that was the issue, because the non checkered part looks fine.
Mossberg was pretty obvious in not wanting to help.
I would just like to fix the color damage and mark it up to learning and it is a hunting rifle so some damage is expected, I was just hoping it would take a little longer to happen.

Mossberg probably outsources the woodwork and finishing if I were guessing. Not many, if any, manufacturer truly makes every part of a gun like they did back in the late 1800's. So, I'm not surprised that they were unable to help. I also don't know of any other manufacturer (whether gun or otherwise) that would warranty scratches put on it by the user. If they did, I'd be on the phone with Chevrolet instead of typing this reply.

But just by looking at the photo above, if I were GUESSING (I really am), the stipling was very likely burnt in with a laser, and isn't stain at all and the Caldwell vise just went below the burn and polyurethane clear coat, rather than below the stain. So, if it were me and I was going to try to darken the stipling back up, I'd try to do it by hand with a wood burner rather than with stain.

The marred polyurethane outside of the stipling, would need a thin amount of clear applied and then hand rubbed. Unless of course you have smooth cloth polishing wheel is likely what they used to give it that nice uniform sheen.

@ripjack13 what would you suggest? I know you have more experience working with wood than I do? It's possible that you have a better solution.

Thanks meanstreak
And I understand John, it just seems in my opinion it should have held up better, but as a mechanic I beat the tar out of my tools at work and they hardly break. I know it’s not the same obviously, but I think not offering a touch up marker is a near sighted decision.
But, I digress, I might try to burning idea but after retrieving my rifle from the safe tonight I found the stock is cracked!
Hopefully mossberg won’t consider that a cosmetic issue as well!
With how well this rifle is holding up I definitely am going to have to take my Savage hunting this week, incase this gun just falls apart LOL

Attachments

• 3D9DA8BB-A86A-42F4-8613-140AE180599F.jpeg
    3D9DA8BB-A86A-42F4-8613-140AE180599F.jpeg
    195.9 KB · Views: 6
  • 61480BE5-0184-43DD-A501-2F97C45BEC1E.jpeg
    61480BE5-0184-43DD-A501-2F97C45BEC1E.jpeg
    154.3 KB · Views: 6
Back