• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Side Saddle Shell Carrier for Mossberg 590A1 Magpul Edition

Centuriator

.270 WIN
Another question...and mind you I'm asking this ONLY about the Mapul Edition 590A1, wanting to hear what works and what does not. I notice most shell carriers only hold 6 shells, but since the capacity of the Magpul edition 590A1 is 8+1 I was wondering if anyone has experience with side saddles that hold eight shells and how well it works with the 590A1 Magpul Edition. Thanks for bearing with me.

Shell holders should put minimal stress on the hammer and trigger pins. At least not enough to make a meaningful difference.

Plus, the side shell pins are a bit longer and screw into the holder, thus also preventing the pin from walking if you're comparing apples

OK, so....what's the better choice? The velcro neoprene model shown in this thread seems like it might be a better option since it introduces no stress on any functional parts and it makes it very easy to slap a new set of six shells on the shotgun. Does not however seem to be as strong/permanent a solution as a fixed shell holder. Still weighing my options and thanks.

I use the saddles. As I mentioned, they add minimal to no stress; if any, on the gun, won't come unglued when you're jerking on the shells trying to get them loose, and they don't leave your receiver a sticky mess if/when you do decide to peel it off.

Sorry, can't find any pics of my Mossberg, these will have to do.
zEMfSgd.jpg

Some others don't mind packing a bandoleer sling if you want to have a whole bunch of shells on hand. https://www.amazon.com/BLACKHAWK-43...=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B0014VTRF8

I had the screw mounted style and went with the Velcro type, so as to be able to see my serial number. Plus I can either unload the card or rip it off for a more compact load out.
Dog

I love me options...and thank you for the advice guys. I've taken a few tactical shotgun classes, beginners and advanced and I ran them with two Blackhawk bandoliers of shells on because we did SO MUCH immediate reloading, but the velcro approach seems to me to be like a wise choice, just in case.

Everyone was laughning at me at first with my two bandoliers, by the end of the day they asked, "Where can I get those?"

LOL.

I learned the hard way when it comes to shotgun use it's all about reloading and reloading and reloading. Our instructor was awesome about it...."Look for work. Reload always. Keep reloading. Never stop reloading." Over the weekends during my various classes he ran us ragged on reloading. It definitely got stuck in my head. Now I instinctively reload, and find myself reaching for shells even when they are not there.

Muscle memory? It's a thing. (No, I know, your muscles do not "remember" but your brain sure does).

Cheers.

I use the saddles. As I mentioned, they add minimal to no stress; if any, on the gun, won't come unglued when you're jerking on the shells trying to get them loose, and they don't leave your receiver a sticky mess if/when you do decide to peel it off.

Sorry, can't find any pics of my Mossberg, these will have to do.
zEMfSgd.jpg

Some others don't mind packing a bandoleer sling if you want to have a whole bunch of shells on hand. https://www.amazon.com/BLACKHAWK-43...=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B0014VTRF8

That wood furniture model is beautiful, brother. Love it.

Back