• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Parts

BCGuy

Waiting to hear back from mossberg, but Im having a hell of a time getting two new extractor pins and a new firing pin. No body in Canada stocks parts and no body in the states seems to ship out of country. Any ideas? Besides buy another one which I already did...

Have you tried Numrich/Gun parts corporation? I see they have the pins and they say on their website they ship those parts to Canada.

Hey thanks that looks like a possible solution. Currently I was able to reassemble the bolt with some stuff I had lying around. However I have now found that the I ruined this mag tube when I tried to remove it. I dont think this one can be removed. I put some very slight crimps in the middle of the tube and it won't hold more than 2 shells now. At this point I think this unit is done. I may be able to get it working properly again, but I won't be able to trust it. Live and learn I guess.

Use a hair drier or shop heat gun to loosen the lock-tite or whatever they use to install the mag tube. I did that on my 500 and it unscrewed by hand with no problems. You don't need to get it smoking hot and I used my shop heat gun and just get it warmer than you care to touch it with your bare hand, I suspect a hair drier on high heat would do the job. Can you straighten the tube out by pushing a proper diameter wooden dowel or piece of pipe thru it?

I gotta say i have tried absolutely everything to get this off including a heat gun and a torch. I have an automotive shop so Ive had some pretty serious force and tools on this thing trying to get it off. If somehow I get it off I will try to true the tube like you said.

I thought I may have read at somepoint that the long barrel 88's it can be removed and the short barrels it can not. But I can't back that up at all.

I GOT IT OFF!!! I just torched the livin xxxx outta it and she came loose! Ill look for some wood dowling and see if i can true er up. The tube follower is stuck halfway down where the damage is.

Last edited by a moderator:
I read someplace that they may have used two or more forms of lock tite on those tubes at the factory, one you have to get hot to remove and the other get it REALLY hot to remove. Just a tip, when you reassemble it don't use any lock tite at all, it can't go anyplace anyway and will be easier to remove in the future if need be.

Taken many mag tubes off. Guy gave me a tip that sometimes works. Put the 500 in the corner. Apply nail polish remover with acetone (pure acetone a little much) where the mag tube threads meet the receiver with an eye dropper. Let gravity work. Do it again when it sinks in. Wipe any spill over off. Leave it standing and apply again. Next day apply your source of heat, put the butt stock between your boots and apply torque at the top of the mag tube with a rubber strap wrench. Nothing better than that crack and crunchy sound of the mag tube turning. Clean off the threads with acetone once off as it dissolves the Locktite. I usually replace the mag spring on the older 500s with a Wolff after market spring under $10. Never anything wrong with the factory spring aside from being dirty and some rust. Best part is cleaning the mag tube out. Some of them have rust in them, especially the duck guns. Simple cleaning with solvent and oil patches until dry it's good for another 30 years. Hardest tube I ever had was about a year ago when I took the 20" barrel and 7 round magazine tube off a brand new Maverick 88 to swap it out with an 80s era 500 for a friend. Nothing worked on that. Finally depressed the follower and magazine spring with a cleaning rod on the bench and touched the inside of the mag tube where it meets the receiver with a mini torch. Finally got the Locktite to puff. Hit the top of the tube with the strap wrench and backed it out. Lost some blueing where the strap wrench was sawing away on the many attempts, but got the damn thing off. Defies logic why Mossberg would essentially glue the mag tube to the receiver. The mag is captured between the receiver threads and the barrel screw. It can't back off, so why glue it? I've had tubes come off with a hair dryer and some took fire. No reason to use Locktite. May not surprise you, but the magazine tubes cleaned of the old Locktite don't fall off the gun when you reinstall them without Locktite. .:laugh:

Back