• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

TX: Law allows guns in church [probably saved lives today 12/29/19]

Scoop

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Texas law allowing people to carry guns in church went into effect Sept. 1
Under the 2019 law, licensed gun holders can carry in places of worship unless their religious leaders specifically prohibit the weapons.

Author: WFAA Staff
Published: 5:27 PM CST December 29, 2019
Updated: 5:57 PM CST December 29, 2019
A gunman was stopped by another armed person after he fired a gun during a church service Sunday in White Settlement.

Two people were killed, including the gunman, and another person was critically wounded in the shooting at West Freeway Church of Christ.

An armed guard at the church returned fire after the gunman shot his weapon, a livestream of the service showed. Several other church members also pulled out their weapons.

A separate 2017 Texas law allows churches to have armed volunteer security.

This church shooting near Fort Worth comes less than four months after a law went into effect that allows people to carry a weapon in established places of worship.

Under the 2019 law, licensed gun holders can carry in places of worship unless their religious leaders specifically prohibit the weapons.

It is not yet known if the shooter in Sunday's incident was legally allowed to own a gun.

Sen. Donna Campbell (R-New Braunfels) filed Senate Bill 535.

In August, Sen. Campbell said the goal of the bill was to clarify an existing statute.

Here is Campbell's full statement:

"The existing statute is confusing and clunky when it comes to clearly stating the rights of licensed Texans to carry on the premises of a church. This bill provides clarity of the Legislature's intent to treat churches in the same manner as other privately owned establishments in Texas.

Senate Bill 535 does not restrict the rights of churches to post 30.06 or 30.07 signs or prohibit weapons on their premises if they choose, which has been established law for most privately owned property in Texas.

In addition, Senate Bill 535 reduces penalties for licensed citizens who unknowingly carry in prohibited areas, aligning these penalties with other sections of state law. It also increases the penalty for armed individuals who are told to leave certain premises where weapons are prohibited and fail to depart."

I saw the video. Great shot under pressure by the guard.

“I’m thankful to GOD that I have been blessed with the ability and desire to serve him in the role of head of security at the church. I am very sad in the loss of two dear friends and brothers in CHRIST, but evil does exist in this world and I and other members are not going to allow evil to succeed. Please pray for all the members and their families in this time. Thank you for your prayers and understanding.”

According to The Times, the church has a security team of people licensed to carry firearms that has existed for about a decade; they were already suspicious of the gunman, the newspaper reported. The other deceased victim is also a member of the security team.

https://heavy.com/news/2019/12/jack-wilson/
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Myself and @Djcala have been discussing this a little in PM. I'm tagging him in the topic in case he wants to follow along.

Governor Abbott Presents White Settlement Hero Jack Wilson With Texas’ Medal of Courage

On Monday, Governor Greg Abbott presented the Governor's Medal of Courage to West Freeway Church of Christ hero Jack Wilson at the Governor's Mansion in Austin. From the Governor's press release:

"When faced with an evil that few of us will ever comprehend, Jack Wilson responded with strength, bravery, and with love for those in the church that day," said Governor Abbott. "The courage in his actions cannot be understated, and Jack is not only a hero to West Freeway Church of Christ -- he is a hero to the entire State of Texas."

NRA-ILA would like to thank Governor Abbott for recognizing Wilson's life-saving actions in White Settlement.

-- more at:
-- https://www.nraila.org/articles/202...-hero-jack-wilson-with-texas-medal-of-courage

I am glad that the Governor recognized him. I wonder if he also posthumously recognized the other defenders of the Church who lost their lives trying to save others?

Even if the governor didn't, I'm sure that when he opened his eyes, that his Creator did.

John 15; 13-15

13 Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

14 Ye are my friends, if ye do whatsoever I command you.

15 Henceforth I call you not servants; for the servant knoweth not what his lord doeth: but I have called you friends; for all things that I have heard of my Father I have made known unto you.

Oh, I'm sure that lamestream will pick it up when the dead perp's family brings a big civil suit against Hero Jack Wilson.

It shouldn't be that way in such a slam-dunk righteous shooting, but there are always lawyers that will initiate such a lawsuit on contingency because just maybe one will become a multi-million dollar settlement and they can siphon off about 40% for themselves. Ugh.

Back