• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Model Identification Help: Which Mossberg 500 Do I Have?

Mine is a M500A Persuader, 18.5 barrel, fully parkerized finish, 5 shot mag tube, metal heat shield, Mesa Tactical 6 shot side saddle, MIL-STD-1913 picatinny rail, Primary Arms Red-Dot, and just recently installed Magpul SGA stock and forend. It came with the ATI M4 stock with pistol grip and I just never liked that on a shotgun. The Magpul stuff makes my old Mossy feel like a brand new gun, and way more comfortable to shoot.

IMG_2048.JPG

Just picked up a new one just wondering manufacture data, couldn't find the serial # list on here anywhere. Serial # on new Mossy is V0555990 Thanks for any info

Congrats on you new Mossy. You need to email Mossberg for the born date on that one.

Thank you for posting your numbers. I'll update our data base.

Just curious, I cannot find my model number on Mossbergs website, it's 50588. Has the pistol grip only, no butt stock. Just discovered it's the 50580 on there site, what's up witht the different model numbers.

20180411_195253.jpg 20180411_195310.jpg

I have a 500 12 GA from 1988 and a 500 .410 cal from 2010. I've asked Mossberg for the actual build dates for both.

I have an old 500. It has a single slide bar and an engraved bolt and elevator. I would like to find out when it was made but there is no serial number and appears to have never had one. Can anyone give me some ideas.

I can help a little. But that is limited.

Since it only has one slide arm bar, that would be an early one because they later switched to having dual arms. I want to say in 1970 but I don't want to say for certain because I was never real great with dates and it's been a long time since I looked into it.

The other thing you mentioned is it not having a serial number.

That too would indicate an early gun.

Serial numbers were not required on firearms until the passage of the 1968 gun control act (GCA). So, the fact that it only has a single slide arm and no serial, tells me that it was made sometime between 1960 when they were first introduced and no later than October 22, 1968. Or at least not within about 60-90 days later to give manufacturers updated guidelines as to what the law consists of, but nevertheless, the GCA was signed into law 10/22/68.

This may not be all you were asking for, but it's probably as close of an answer that you'll ever get from anyone. Including Mossberg considering that it has no real identifying information.

Since it only has one slide arm bar, that would be an early one because they later switched to having dual arms. I want to say in 1970 but I don't want to say for certain because I was never real great with dates and it's been a long time since I looked into it.

Serial numbers were not required on firearms until the passage of the 1968 gun control act (GCA). So, the fact that it only has a single slide arm and no serial, tells me that it was made sometime between 1960 when they were first introduced and no later than October 22, 1968. Or at least not within about 60-90 days later to give manufacturers updated guidelines as to what the law consists of, but nevertheless, the GCA was signed into law 10/22/68.

This may not be all you were asking for, but it's probably as close of an answer that you'll ever get from anyone. Including Mossberg considering that it has no real identifying information.

Thank you very much. That was a big help.

I have two M500A Flex Security models . One for myself, one for my Adult Daughter, both identical.

18.5" heavy walled breaching barrels. 6 shot tubes (plus one in the chamber= 7 rounds).

MossyFlex1.jpg
MossyFlex2.jpg MossyFlex5.jpg

Mine is a 500c in 20 Gauge. I changed out the skeet barrel for 18.5" for home defense. Can change back if I go skeet shooting.

Attachments

• A059BED8-B15B-46A4-8761-2B8BAF963747.jpg
    A059BED8-B15B-46A4-8761-2B8BAF963747.jpg
    454.8 KB · Views: 9
I got this 500A a few years back, it was a field model that I put some work into. The stock forend got slick when wet and didn't feel right so I swapped out for a grip.

IMG_20200916_100718.jpg

Mossberg 500 or Mossberg 590...

I am contemplating picking up another mossberg to use as a home defense shotgun. I am having a hard time deciding between the mossberg 500 and the mossberg 590 right now. Is it really worth it to get the 590?
You can't go wrong with either. I personally went with the 500. Why? Because it was right there, in front of me at the right price. Both fantastic guns and one will do the job as good as the other.

@tws Holy necro. Just an FYI, the post you quoted was from 2010.

Back