• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

New Here and Have a Question

Chris_K

.22LR
Howdy, I'm new to the forum, and a converted Rem 870 guy. :) Owned a couple 870s over the years but just got bored with it back then and sold them.

I'm Chris, from the Phoenix, AZ area. I didn't post on the new member intro forum as I already have a question.

Got the 12 Ga bug again from shooting a buddy's recently, and went on the hunt for one to join my ARs and pistols. He told me don't buy one new, go get a used one at a pawn shop or something; you'll find good deals on used 12 gauges all day. He was right.

Ran into a gorgeous, older model Mossberg 500A with wood furniture, and ended up getting a nice deal on it, trading a small synth stock .22 I never shoot anymore. Few scratches or blems here and there, but mechanically sound and pretty nice.

Was a little leery, being an 870 guy, but I really am liking the Moss. It's not hard to field strip and clean, as some have said.

Anyway, only two things I was concerned with were the polymer trigger group, and polymer safety. I've been reading up on it, and I see it's rarer than people state, but are those two items things I should replace? I don't know how to tell if my trigger group has the reinforced ears or not. Polymer safety gtg? Or replace it quick?

Anyway, Thanks guys!

EDIT: Forgot a Pic of her. :)

Attachments

• 500A.jpg
    500A.jpg
    301 KB · Views: 15
  • 20200105_143107.jpg
    20200105_143107.jpg
    472.2 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Welcome to the forum.

My suggestion about the trigger pack, if you ever break it, replace it at that point.

FWIW, I have never even seen a broken trigger guard on a Mossberg 500. Doesn't mean it hasn't ever happened, but if it has, I don't know about it. And with as many fan boys there is of other shotguns, I believe that if it were a legitimate thing, pictures would be plastered all over the internet about how crappy it was. Just my 2 cents.

I've had 500s for years (decades) and never had an issue with either the trigger or safety. Unless it breaks I'd do nothing. Just make sure the safety is firmly attached.

Spend your money on ammo would be my recommendation.

Regards

Hello and welcome.

I have seen a lot of used 500 Mossbergs over years of police duty and have never seen a cracked trigger guard. And these have been bounced around pretty good at times.

I think I have seen two broken plastic safety tabs, again on very harshly treaded police 500 shotguns bouncing around inside cars or dropped carelessly during training or dropped following an OIS and cops went hands on.

I'd vote NO as for changing them out.

I appreciate the insight. I really hadn't anticipated needing to do any of it, but was just mildly concerned. I do all my own smithing and stuff, and didn't really see how this stuff could be as weak as some have said. I always say, buy ammo, just like y'all did.

I wasn't used to the fore end being so "loose" by my standards, but it's perfectly normal as it's designed that way.

So far, absolutely loving the differences of the 500 vs the 870. No need to break firing hand position to rack it, and the safety is just so intuitive vs. the cross bolt. I'm really quickly seeing what Mossberg folks are raving about. Thanks again all!

Chris, in your last paragraph you rightly pointed out the ergonomic attributes of the Mossberg which most users find user friendly.

I was remiss in my earlier post by not welcoming you to the forum.

Think you will find a friendly and helpful bunch of folks here. Welcome on board!

Regards

Welcome to the forum.

A bunch of people here including myself have changed the safety. Several different styles are easily available on eBay. There is a sticky thread in this section about replacing the safety. Just watch that detent ball!

I have no qualms about the plastic trigger housing. Comments from Ruger regarding their switch to plastic trigger housings in the 10/22 line improved the strength of the guard. Probably because it could flex. There is a YouTube video showing the drop testing they did. They also claim that while the plastic is more expensive than the metal they got much more consistent molding and did not have to fit parts and that brought the cost down.

I also put the M-CARBO trigger spring kit and magazine follower in mine.

-- Mark

Ive broke alot of stuff over the years, dad said I could break a bowling ball with a rubber mallet. Been using 500's for at least 45 years have yet to break any part of one. I bet you'll be fine. Now a preference for metal I do understand somewhat and there are options out there, but its a want not a need. Enjoybyour new boomer and welcome to the forum

Appreciate all the additional insight. Definitely not worrying about it anymore. Just didn't know if those were minor gripes, which are few and far between and they appear to be, or the Achilles heel of this shotgun. Seems like a solid platform. Going shooting Saturday I'll be back with a mini range rep.

Thanks!

Chris,

The main reason the 590A1 has a metal trigger housing and safety is that they wanted to get a US NAVY contract, and the Navy wanted a thicker barrel and the trigger housing and safety to better withstand being banged and slammed in ships hatches and stuff.

Yes, I was reading about the beefed up components. Being hauled through tight steel corridors and hatches of ships makes sense for more metal stuff. Other than those few changes, it appears as thought the 590 is internally the same shotgun as the 500? Off to read more. :)

Edit: Just did the reading. Didn't realize that the 590 is just another model, normally produced, with the same polymer components. Just the magazine tube is different. 590A1 adds the metal components you mentioned, for the aforementioned reasons. I thought the 590 and the 590A1 were both military designations, and one was further enhanced. Like M4 and M4A1. Oops :) Now, I get it.

Why did I never get into Mossberg? I'm loving every bit of this. Like being a kid in a new candy, err gun store. :D

Last edited:
JFYI, my choice of a police duty shotgun is an 8+1 20" 590 (not an A1) with GRS. It is lighter than a 590A1 and perfectly capable so I don't need a 590A1 and all that added stuff.

Back