• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Snake Ammo for 410 Shockwave

Snake story from Southeast Asia:

When I first arrived at a radar station supporting the Vietnam War, the equipment was located in dimly lit hemispherical tents mounted on low platforms in a swampy area. Large cables hung in the rafters and under the floor. While on night duty, I sometimes noticed movement in overhead cables. At first I thought king cobra due to the apparent large size but after conferring with the nearby herpetology center, I learned that local cobras would not display that behavior. The herpetologist -- snake scientist -- joked that the only venomous snake that would live like that would be a rare very mature variety of green tree snake.

I reported the information to incredulous NCO's who discounted the idea even after another member known for heavy alcohol use claimed he came face-to-face with an enormous reptile while installing overhead cable.

Months later when we moved the equipment to a Butler building on higher ground, we found a gigantic green snake under the floorboards. Exposed to daylight it actually chased the senior NCO around the cleared area until subdued with a fire extinguisher plus several improvised long "snake sticks". The herpetology center carried off the creature before we could film or measure it but its length was well over 2 meters, possibly over 8 feet long. Deprived of its usual prey of birds and bats, it lived mostly on other snakes, reptiles and fish. Once the big predator was removed we noticed an uptick in small snakes in that area such as banded kraits -- a tiny but deadly reptile with no fear of humans; so-called "one-step" kraits.

Snake story from Southeast Asia:

When I first arrived at a radar station supporting the Vietnam War, the equipment was located in dimly lit hemispherical tents mounted on low platforms in a swampy area. Large cables hung in the rafters and under the floor. While on night duty, I sometimes noticed movement in overhead cables. At first I thought king cobra due to the apparent large size but after conferring with the nearby herpetology center, I learned that local cobras would not display that behavior. The herpetologist -- snake scientist -- joked that the only venomous snake that would live like that would be a rare very mature variety of green tree snake.

I reported the information to incredulous NCO's who discounted the idea even after another member known for heavy alcohol use claimed he came face-to-face with an enormous reptile while installing overhead cable.

Months later when we moved the equipment to a Butler building on higher ground, we found a gigantic green snake under the floorboards. Exposed to daylight it actually chased the senior NCO around the cleared area until subdued with a fire extinguisher plus several improvised long "snake sticks". The herpetology center carried off the creature before we could film or measure it but its length was well over 2 meters, possibly over 8 feet long. Deprived of its usual prey of birds and bats, it lived mostly on other snakes, reptiles and fish. Once the big predator was removed we noticed an uptick in small snakes in that area such as banded kraits -- a tiny but deadly reptile with no fear of humans; so-called "one-step" kraits.

That's some snake story......I guess the green snake, even though awful, would have been better than the kraits? Ugh!

I do not like snakes, period. If I knew which were dangerous and which weren't perhaps I would feel differently. I don't like being close enough to tell one from the other.

Great article. And I learned the difference between poisonous and venomous so I'll be sure to use the correct terminology :D

Back