• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Front sling stud Alternate location

Chris_K

.22LR
So, curious, as to this idea I have. I currently have the pictured sling stud, installed in the factory barrel lug location.

I'm wondering, if I could tap the side of the barrel lug where circled, and reinstall the stud there. This would facilitate more of my preferred side slide method. I could simple drill into the side of the Walnut stock and reinstall the rear stud, too.

Would this screw Any support from Mossberg? Structural issue? It doesn't seem like it would be. I know the gun is new to me but I'm sure Mossberg would still support the gun, as I've heard great things about their support.

Thanks!

Attachments

• 20200116_141042.jpg
    20200116_141042.jpg
    246.9 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
While you can do what you want to your shotgun and I’m not sure of the warranty/support implications there are so many good, inexpensive aftermarket offerings to do exactly what you are trying to achieve I’ve got to wonder if it’s worth the hassle.

I agree, I figure Mossberg would be awesome either way. Most companies like to support their legacy older stuff. I could get the Magpul forward sling mount, but that's like $30, and I just love tinkering. Already shortened the Walnut stock for a nicer 12.5 in length of pull, very nice shooting today.

So, curious, as to this idea I have. I currently have the pictured sling stud, installed in the factory barrel lug location.

I'm wondering, if I could tap the side of the barrel lug where circled, and reinstall the stud there. This would facilitate more of my preferred side slide method. I could simple drill into the side of the Walnut stock and reinstall the rear stud, too.

Would this screw Any support from Mossberg? Structural issue? It doesn't seem like it would be. I know the gun is new to me but I'm sure Mossberg would still support the gun, as I've heard great things about their support.

Thanks!
I have been thinking of drilling and tapping right there too.. making it similar to my issued G3. Its on ice atm.

g3.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice! Yeah I'm thinking about doing it, already got all the tools needed. I drilled and tapped a spare front sight block for one of my ARs that doesn't have taper pins drilled. Can't really add a random FSB to a barrel that wasn't drilled for it, but this worked very well.

Attachments

• 20191117_143335.jpg
    20191117_143335.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 10
Mossberg makes a takedown screw assembly that is drilled/taped for a sling stud that would put the swivel mount at the front of the mag tube. It seems that would work if it is not too close to the muzzle. I put one on my 500A to replace the takedown screw that was not set up that way and it worked fine on mine using the 24" slug barrel.

Last edited:
I know, I don't have that takedown screw, nor do I want it on the very front. It is nice, though.

I'd prefer a side sling mount. We'll see if I get around to it. :)

Well, contacted Mossberg, and it's been outta warranty. For a while. They said I could always send it in for free evaluation if it ever has issues, and they were very prompt and courteous in their reply.

Anyway. I went off and further modified this oldie but goldie. I know, it was a collectible. I love the wood furniture, but wanted some more of my mallninja tacticool crap going on. Actually, I just love how you sling an AR, and can't really do it any other way. Only took about 10 or 15 minutes. I'll update if I shoot the thing and the barrel lug cracks or some such, which I highly doubt. :D

Rear sling stud does not interfere with cheek weld. Seems pretty nice now. :) 20200127_145747.jpg 20200127_150747.jpg 20200127_152424.jpg 20200127_155549.jpg

Last edited:
Back