• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Why dual extractors?

I understand the theoretical reliability increase that should result from having 2 extractors instead of one, but I don't know of any other brand that uses 2 extractors. Will the 500/590 series still run if one extractor breaks?

Yes it will still run. Long as the broken piece doesn't get hung up inside the receiver somehow.

Theoretically it would extract more reliably with two.

FWIW, the Rem 870 and the Win 1300 only have a single extractor and they're probably the most popular "competition" (I use that term loosely because I think each of them stands on their own). I honestly wouldn't consider either of them "unreliable" despite the fact of having a single extractor.

Can I see a situation where having two is advantageous? Yes.

Is it a deal breaker for me? No. Most companies make their extractors from properly hardened steel because they know it could be an Achilles heel and take steps to strengthen them accordingly because they don't want to be known as unreliable or prone to breakage.

I have only known of one instance of an extractor breaking first hand.

I have we over 10k rounds on my 870 with a single extractor without a single issue. With very little cleaning and no babying I will add.

I have no doubts at all about the reliability of my mossbergs. I may someday match my round count of my the 870 but just do not shoot as much as I used to so it will take a while longer.

Did they always have 2? Wondering if they tried to incorporate redundant reliability for military/LEO contracts as another way to set them apart from the competition. I admit my knowledge of OFM history is lacking.

They also didn't use to have dual action arms. They had a single arm going from the handguard to the slide/bolt.

I do like having two now.

We have pics up on gunbroker but you can pm me and i can send info. I am trying to not post here yet till i have the 30 messages and 30 days req. by the forum. :)

Back