• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Red Dot?

First, allow me to say HELLO and Welcome to the group. Glad you joined.

That is a VERY nice Mossberg shotgun. Congrats. You sure have put some real dough in that shotgun.

If you add a red dot you might really screw up your cheek weld and make it undesirable to get a good sight plane. But since you are running the Magpul stock it might be fine.

I'll sit back and let others give suggestions for now.

She's a beauty. Welcome to the board.

I put a Vortex Venom on my 500 with the SGA buttstock. I ended up needing the tallest cheek weld piece in order to get a good sight picture. Overall, I love having a red dot on my dedicated home defense 500.

I chose the Venom over the SPARC because of sight's bulk. The SPARC was simply too big sitting on top of an already big shotgun. I realize the Venom isn't as robust in terms of taking abuse, but my DLP 500 is a safe queen unless I hear a bump in the night. Worst case scenario, the Venom's glass gets destroyed or ripped off the rail somehow, after which I would simply sight down the barrel instinctively and look for my XS Big Dot front bead.

I do not, it pulls my head to high, I prefer a good cheak weld and to look down the barrel.

I still have one set up for turkey hunting but that one as well seems to high and feels unnatural to shoot.

It all comes down to personal preference and what works for you. I grew up wingshooting so I really am not even concious of the barrel or bead most of the time so anything that pulls me out my shooting form feels odd.

I have an old Bushnell Trophy 4 reticle on my 500 and I also am using an ATI brand AR style stock on mine, which isn't too bad on the cheekweld despite being very tall over the bore.

I prefer the "eotech" style circle dot reticle for various reasons rather than a single dot. Especially for when shooting buckshot. Small single dots on shotguns don't make sense to me.

The circle dot is fast on target, and I have played around enough with it to know what distance is ideal to keep all of the pellets inside the edge of the reticle and when I'm far enough away and to know when to expect "flyers".

I have no idea how the magpul stock would work though. I think you could drop your cheek over on the stock and kind of "eyeball" it to see where your eye lines up to a natural cheek weld placement. If the peep sight sits high, you wouldn't want to add an optic that is going to be taller than it is obviously. And vice-versa if the peep sight is below your line of sight.

The main reason that I am using an optic was the inability to adjust my bead sights on my 500. And it was printing slugs and buckshot so far off where I was aiming, the electronic optic was my only option to correct that.

Is your gun shooting pretty close to point of aim, or are you just wanting to add it "just because"?

I've got the vortex viper on my new 590. Haven't had the chance to shoot with it on, but it seems to be low enough to provide an acceptable check weld. I do have the 12" LOP hogue stock on with a limbsaver pad to bring it to about 13".

Edit: I should point out that I'm using the NcStar Micro-dot base rail, model MSHRMDMOS, to get the sight as low on the receiver as possible. The Vortex Viper is supposed to be very low profile as well, intended for handguns.

fdaa7c5f45b392e0a80da933c2decbf8.jpg

Last edited:
ep1019,
Nice Mossy. I have the same one sans the Magpul furniture. I had an Eotech on it but it made a big heavy shotgun even bigger and heavier! I also did not like the fact that I had to come out of my ready position to turn it on. This was a real PITA.

I opted to work with the XS GR site system that the gun came with. It needed some work (time & money) to get it on target with slugs at 25 yards but I did it. They work fine now and I can get on targets fast. Buck shot and bird shot I just site down the barrel.

This gun is made for rough use. If you need an optic get one that can handle the stress you'll put on it.

ep1019,
Nice Mossy. I have the same one sans the Magpul furniture. I had an Eotech on it but it made a big heavy shotgun even bigger and heavier! I also did not like the fact that I had to come out of my ready position to turn it on. This was a real PITA.

I opted to work with the XS GR site system that the gun came with. It needed some work (time & money) to get it on target with slugs at 25 yards but I did it. They work fine now and I can get on targets fast. Buck shot and bird shot I just site down the barrel.

This gun is made for rough use. If you need an optic get one that can handle the stress you'll put on it.

Good post Sir.

RenderedContent-4A055F15-4FEB-4AAE-A386-95B583B70F9C.JPG RenderedContent-B5C80112-1528-47E8-B8E8-73353C657703.JPG RenderedContent-24F3B6A5-BFC2-4553-B1B3-0A870983629B.JPG RenderedContent-302AC42E-A369-4F54-994E-207A8FA79B14.JPG Thanks for all the advice everybody. So as you guys stated, I considered the size of the optic as well as the cheek weld potential issue, and as such I decided to mount a Primary Arms red dot I used to have on my AR15 (just bought an EOTech for that). I think the primary arms is small and light weight so that the aforementioned two issues are not a problem.

Another member mentioned a circle type reticle as opposed to a dot - I think that's a valid point. The Primary Arms I mounted is a 2 MOA single dot. Although I think a circle might be ideal for close quarters, I still think this dot is easy enough to find.

In response to the member who asked why I wanted a red dot, I just think the red dot is much faster to acquire. With enough practice I may have been just as fast with the iron sights, but I won't lie and say I'm against taking short cuts, plus I like the look of it.

Thanks again guys! I have attached a few more pictures.

I ran a circle with dot, sightmark on my 500 for awhile. And I shit you not, it was almost dead on at 100 yards with slugs, and 25 yards with buckshot through a smooth bore barrel. That was on a Millet saddle mount.

I ended up pulling all the "tactical" stuff back off though, aside from a light. It's a first line home defense weapon. So turning on any type of sight would be impossible in that kind of situation.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

I have run a fast fire 2 on my 590A1 14" for over 8 years. Can put 3 slugs into a group that looks like micky mouse head... Extremely versatile.

Back