• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

looking for CCW handgun

John A.

Unconstitutional laws are not laws.
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Good evening guys. I've been carrying a snub 38 S&W but am wanting something different for a change.

I am looking for a subcompact. Something small, but still able to hit with it.

I absolutely hate 380 altogether with an unhealthy passion, so whatever you recommend, just know that I won't be considering anything chambered in 380.

So far, I have 3 that are on the top of my list but in no particular order

CZ Rami decocker (9mm) 10+1 or 14+1
https://www.budsgunshop.com/product_info.php/products_id/411548861

Only con is steel frame and weight. 26 oz.

411548861.jpg

Sig P320 subcompact (9mm) 12+1 24.9 oz
https://www.budsgunshop.com/product_info.php/products_id/96711/sig sauer 320sc9bss 320 9mm night sights 12r black

415004642.jpg

Sig Sauer 250SC45B P250 Sub Compact 45 ACP 6+1
https://www.budsgunshop.com/product_info.php/products_id/83737/sig sauer 250sc45b p250 sub compact 45 automatic colt pistol

83737.jpg

I would imagine the 45acp would be a handful. Also not sure, but I think that I read they've been discontinued so I'm not sure how easy it would be to find one at the moment either.

I think they're releasing a P320 subcompact in 45acp sometime soon that also has 8 or 9 round capacity which I would prefer?

So, I'm curious if there are any other good subcompacts out there that I have overlooked that you guys can recommend.

Whatever it is, has to be 100% reliable. Not a 380. Something that I could carry pretty easy.

I had a little Kahr CM9 for a while and while it was perfect in size, weight, capacity. It wasn't 100% reliable so I'm looking for something else.

John, might be a little bigger than you want but take a look at a Ruger 9E. Excellent little 9mm.

Regards

Last edited:
John,
Of the 3 that you mentioned the Sig 320 stands out to me because:
Reliable. I see over 1000 guns a year and Sig has always impressed me w/ quality and reliability.
More capacity than the .45.

BUT you shouldn't take my word for any of this.
The only way to pick out your EDC is to handle, fire, test, clean a bunch of different ones. The gun has got fit YOU. I has to feel right. Grip angle makes a big difference to a lot of people.

Do a bunch of emergency clearance drills with each one you test. WHY? Because you'd be surprised how many gun have sharp edges where your hand can get carved up. [I used to have a P38 that I loved to shoot, but it seemed to have a taste for my blood. It is gone.]

I was lucky that I had a great community of competitors that were eager to lend me guns... even for whole matches. See if you can get some friends to give you some time with theirs.

You may want to shoot in ways you are not allowed to in a public commercial indoor range. Most frown on drawing from holster, rapid fire, emergency reloads, shooting while moving, or lying on the ground. Get outdoors to do that stuff.

Let us know what you try and what you buy.

I already know the I like the rami angle. Though it is a shortened cz75 frame and grip. I have a full size cz75 clone and I like how it shoots better than I do the more expensive Beretta Centurion.

I haven't fired any of the sig P's, and don't really know anyone personally that has one. I'm going to look through the local pawn shops to see if I see anything that calls to me that I can "try on".

The Ruger SR9C is a nice carry piece. I carry the full sized version, SR9.
The EC/LC9s line are good inexpensive models also. I have the EC9s and LC9s Pro. The pro model is my deeper concealed IWB carry gun.
All three guns have been uber reliable.

I admit that I have looked at the SR9C, but had forgotten to mention that it's on the short list. Trouble is, it's out of stock everywhere I've looked.

I know nothing about the 3 you listed. I personally carry a Shield 9mm. And I know several others that do also. Mine happens to be from the performance center. And I got it used. When I first handled a shield I didnt like the feel of the single stack grip. I've found it shoots well, and so far has been 100% reliable. And I know nothing of its history before I owned it. They are abundant, and lots of aftermarket support.

Granted this probably doesnt help you out in any way. It is one I would recommend to anyone asking about a CCW firearm though.

Before I had the Shield I had an XDS 45, and personally, for me .45 is too much in a subcompact size. I would have to re grip after about 3 shots. Plus I wasnt very accurate with it. Anything besides sloooow fire I was always wide left.

Last edited:
Another vote for the shield.

I shoot it in competition in the back up gun division and run it hard through self defense shooting courses.

Thanks for the replies guys.

Right now, in the micro department, looks like the Sig P365 is in the lead. With safety. And thumb rest magazine.

And with the added thumb rest, capacity is good with 12 rounds too.

365 to sr9c.JPG

I've been wanting to get over to the gun shop, see if they have a Springfield Hellcat I can fondle, possibly rent to try out. A double stack 9mm subcompact is appealing.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

John, It's a bit larger; I would suggest the the Sig 2022 in either 9mm or .40S&W.
I have and EDC the latter. ALIEN Gear IWB 12rds. plus 1........
I'm an old fat guy it conceals and carries well.
When I was looking for a pistol I really didn't have any set notions of caliber or make, but when put sigbaby in my mitt and presented...........I SWEAR I heard angels singing!
Just an old fart's .02c

Back