• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Big Bore muzzle stuffer

Djcala

.30-06
Supporter
Found a .58 finally. She needed some love to put back in firing condition, so dirt cheap :yum:.
Its a Navy Arms Hawken Hunter .58 cal, full 1 1/16 barrel patent chamber bored. Had half a minnie ball stuck deep took me some work to get that out then a good cleaning and anipple swap. BOOM its a great shooter, really heavy and a lot of fun. Ive run it as hot as 150grn 2f behind a 611grn Maxiball OH MY WORD thats strong. But with just a patch round ball and 90 grn 2f its a pure joy and accurate to 100yds so far about my max for irons anyway.
Theres a pic of a cute lil 50cal bullet next to a 600grn .58. 0210201132a.jpg 0210201132.jpg 0206200945.jpg :sniper:

Nice. My dad had a .54 and I found it to be more enjoyable to shoot than my .50. Love the bigger bore guns.

My first big bore was a T/C Renegade in 54 cal. Smoothest, most accurate muzzleloader I ever owned...but my Navy Arms Kentucky 45 and the 2 KY longrifles were super accurate too. Just not as powerful. I got in a money bind and had to sell it and could not get the money together to retrieve it. Then years later I found I had enough money for the Lyman Great Plains rifle in 54 cal amd it near beat me to death. Crescent shaped butts aint no good on wimmins nor long rifles. I doubt I will get another 43. Just no need anymore.

I like this rifle of yours though. Gives me something to ponder a I wander...

Did a comparison shot that confirms basically bigger bullets make bigger holes:mornin: target was an old 1/4 inch steel plow head set at 50 yards was concerned about the solid lead vs steel simply grenading on impact. Shot 30/30 170 grn corelokt, 5.56 55 grn fmj , and the .58 cal with a 600grn maxi bullet. Result in picks are obvious and kinda impressive for solid lead (still hoping to find the bullet) .
30 cal hole on bottom , 556 on top , and the big hole in center with long crack is the shoulder fired artillery piece. I'm feeling the desire now to arrange a buffalo harvest. Added comparison of modern 55grn 556 vs antiquated 0313201731a.jpg 0312201852.jpg 600 grn .58

Man that is a hunk of lead. You have access to a chronograph? I'd be curious what kind of energy that dude is putting down.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

Man that is a hunk of lead. You have access to a chronograph? I'd be curious what kind of energy that dude is putting down.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

Well cool thing of muzzleboomer you can of course manipulate with loads very easily on the fly heres a quick simple look not exact but close typically
Ballistic calculator says 3851ft lbs :
Screenshot_20200324-110648.jpg

Last edited:
Back