• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Modified choke

I think the shockwave would benefit from screw in chokes period.

But I agree that a modified choke would be more ideal than a cylinder choke in terms of patterning at a distance.

I know that isn't exactly the main selling point of the shockwave, but many folks throw them on their tractor and atv's and backpacks and actually use the darn things.

I agree wholeheartedly.

And for those still wanting to shoot slugs and buckshot, still could.

I looked and looked, but couldn’t find it. There was a posting where a guy cut and put a choke in his Shockwave and also did some other mods plus Cerakote the finish. It was a great post, there were a bunch of detailed pictures. Does anyone remember where it was listed?

There were a bunch of pictures, but two stuck in my head. One was the barrel chucked up in his lathe cutting the threads for the choke, the other one was all the separate parts hanging up after he applied the Cerakote.
I was wanting to know if the choke was worth the effort.

Last edited:
You can buy the tools to do it yourself for around $300. Well worth the investment if you plan on doing 3 or more barrels in your lifetime. Its a time consuming job but not that diffficult.

Lots of places will install choke tubes for $100-150. I used Rose Action Sports with excellent results before I started doing my own.

When I threaded my 18.5" Mossberg and the 18.5 inch 870 barrels, took between 30-45 minutes each with a hand drill. I stopped very frequently to keep the chips cleaned out and so the cutter didn't get too hot so I didn't damage anything.

But having the short(er) barrel shotguns with adjustable chokes was worth every second of it. I know that Remington occasionally does sell threaded 18.5" barrels on their website but they are rare and expensive when they do. About double the cost of a regular cylinder barrel of the same length. I have never known Mossberg to sell a threaded barrel under 20 or 22 inches long though.

Both companies should offer threaded barrels on every shotgun model they sell in my opinion.

Mossberg did a factory Mod choke 14" barrel with Ghost Ring and bead sight for the https://www.mossberg.com/category/series/590a1-class-iii/ now shows cylinder but a few months ago there were a lot of the Mod barrels for sale online.

http://aimpro.ashop.me/p/9067391/14-compact-barrel-for-mossberg.html is an example, also may want to measure the bore of your gun to see what it is, my barrel is .718 (IC) on the short one, .710 (IM) on the 590A1 and both are marked cylinder bore, my 590A1 patterns all 9 pellets of flight control buck in an 8" circle at 25 yards, the short 14" will do the same at 20 yds. If you choke too tight it can also blow the pattern.

Back