• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Misc. Swedish Military stuff

fellmann

Esoteric
Supporter
Just watched a video about a new addition to our IFV - Combat Vehicle 90 ( CV90 ) family, a double 120mm mortar turret version, and ran into another video, about our armed forces. That video got me in turn remembering that in the beginning of the 50s we had the worlds fourth biggest airforce :) aprox a 1000 planes. I think i remember that in a case of war, during the cold war, many of us would be conscripted and we would have an army of 700 000 of a population of 8 million. We still have many many underground facilities out there, but abandoned, reminding us of the cold war. Scary times... Today we have a smaller but way more high-tech/advanced army.

Swedish Armed Forces

30082018-276A5925.jpg

grkpbv-90-self-propelled-mortars-2.jpg

Archer Artillery System

Last edited:
Just saw a post about your ( US ) Veterans Day. We have one also :)

Veterans Day (Swedish: Veterandagen) is observed annually in Sweden on May 29 at the Maritime Museum in Stockholm in honor of people who are or have been serving with the Swedish Armed Forces in international military operations, as well as commemorating those who died during their service.

Bigger Swedish involvement
1939 - 1944 Finland, WW2: 9 640 Swedes served. ( Swedish Volunteer Corps ) vs Russia. Front lines in the northern Salla area.
1960 - 1964 Congo Crisis: UN, 6 334 Swedes served. Involved in fierce battles over Katanga's capital Elizabethville.
1973 - 1979 Sinai, Egypt: UN, 6 300 Swedes served.

1024px-Veterandagen_2015_(355_av_416).jpg

Swedish Volunteer in Finland

G7IC4znqAaGCdh1qXXziSOgaEPU37RZtS4P2CAquXHk.jpg

Swedes in Congo. Note the "Swedish K's"

kongo-fn-svenska-soldater-faltskada.jpg

Many Veterans are "marked" by this conflict

Sinai

8__En_dag_vid_dagpositionen_804_i_buffertzonen_-_f.jpg

Last edited:
Today it is 319 years since the great victory "Battle of Narva" in 1700.
Under the personal leadership of the mere 18-year-old King Karl XII, Sweden defeated the Russian army by 30,000 men with 10,500 men. 667 Swedish soldiers died while about 12,000 Russians were killed.
The Swedish battle cry was: "With God's help"

More about the Battle of Narva: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Narva_(1700)

View attachment 22163
Went and read the story of battle, fantastic morning historical reading. Thanks for the sharing.

I hadn't heard of that either. Very interesting. Thank you for sharing that.

This is one of the reasons why I like the internet. It's kind of like years ago when you had pen pals in a different country. It just doesn't take months to read their reply letter.

oh.. just found a cool vid

The Swedish Caroleans
The soldiers of the Swedish Imperial Army known as Karoliner, or Caroleans, a strictly disciplined and aggressive fighting force whose notable tactics echoed throughout Europe during the Great Northern War between 1700 and 1721

Fellman, thanks for the video. Very interesting indeed. There's a couple of pieces there I'd like to own. Hope all is well with you .

OK, how about the Swedish gear bags ? I own 2 of them, handy for keeping my field gear in one, hunting gear in the other. Also use a Swede gas mask bag for a " possibles " bag for my black powder Traditions .50 .

Most mil-surp, from any country is far better quality bag that you can pick up at the local box store.

Back