• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Tool/spanning wrench for forend nut removal

BoBo522

Would anyone please recommend a removal tool/spanning wrench to take off the nut holding the forend on? I went to replace the stock forend with the new Streamlight racker and realized I didn't have anything that would fit properly.

Appreciate the offer, but I’d rather have my own for future needs. I found a couple on Amazon that claim to do the job. Can you tell me where you got yours?

For me, there is no need for a tool :D On my 590A1 i use the back of my knife.
Should work on the Shockwave as long as you remove forend from the mag tube

Last edited:
For me, there is no need for a tool :D On my 590A1 i use the back of my knife.
Should work on the Shockwave as long as you remove forend from the mag tube

The TL-Racker puts the ring nut in the forend just like the middle picture on the amazon link shown below (i see it's Remington but it's the same setback). The type ordered is correct. THE NEW FOREND COVERS MOST OF THE BARREL RING AND LIGHT LENS IS FLUSH WITH THAT RING.

81FNkZVvWUL._SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:
I should make one of these. Nobody in town had one, so I actually just made mine from an old kitchen fork.
I removed the middle prongs, bent the outer prongs down, then ground them to fit.
But one made from a tube would be superior.

Sorry for the necropost. I discovered this thread this afternoon when I wanted to take the forend nut off my 500. I didn't want to wait for Amazon, so I looked around the garage for something I could use. Put this together in a few minutes:

Forend Wrench 1.jpg

It's a hole saw, with nails stuck through the holes where some arbors have outriggers. I tightened the arbor nut down on the nail heads and it was just wide enough to clamp them down. Would have been even better if I had an appropriately sized washer at hand, but I didn't.

Forend Wrench 2.jpg

Worked great. Shifted forend nut in about ten seconds.

Very nice CaddmannQ, it's like a retirement job for that old fork. Fewer hours work, but higher value. For my tool, it's more like a part-time gig. I can dissemble and the components can go back to their day job, then reassemble when needed.

Thank you Mossback.

I still intend to make one out of a piece of tubing, which will be extremely simple, but I haven’t been out shooting enough to bother cleaning my gun.

Not at all in fact. Everyone of my guns is scrubbed, oiled down and ready, but I am engaged on a long list of delayed projects I am attempting to catch up on.

I purchased a TL-RACKER for my shockwave .When I tried to use it the pins that fit retainer nut were to big so I had to remove some material to make it fit. After that everything was a piece of cake

Back