• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

ShockWave help

flyingjack

Copper BB
Good morning boys and girls "old, fat and cripple" flyjack here. Just flew out in the desert yesterday and shot my new Shockwave. I may be old fat and cripple but I'm not a creampuff and that Shockwave kicked mine and my slightly smaller 205 lb buddy's proverbial ass. std 2 3/4 12 ga #5s; didn't even try the slugs. I desperately need a decent brace to keep it legal and have something I can shoulder. Where is best price for SB3 or similar-read old above- I suck at IT stuff. Not new to shooting but fairly new at getting my ass kicked like that. If there are forum issues I don't understand please email jackehorn@aol.com (I know-still AOL) or PM me.
Thanks for your help. BTW, just got my cheap scabbard; really cool and will do exactly what I need to less than $30 delivered.

Flyingjack, first and foremost welcome to the forum. I can offer no advice on a brace. But suggest you use a push-pull two hand approach to shooting your new shockwave. Push forward on corn cob while pulling back on grip. Extend your arms. Plus wrapping grip tape around the bird's head grip will definitely help.

I'm an old guy pushing 8 decades and shoot a shockwave using this approach which is loaded with buckshot and black magic slugs given I live in bear and mountain lion country. Carry shockwave and a 10mm glock every day.

Practice, practice, practice!

Regards

Welcome, FJ!

I bought my SBA3 brace from Opticsplanet.com, but they tend to be pretty much the same price (about $130) no matter where you look. You will also need to get the Mesa Tactical stock adapter ($80) and an AR pistol grip, like the Magpul MOE ($20) or whatever you like. So, you're adding about $230 to the price of your Shockwave for the whole kit. That said, I really love mine!

Jack, many SW users use smaller, "mini" shells for both increases in capacity and more "comfortable" shooting. The Opsol adapter LINK is a common addition to their SWs. I don't have a SW nor Opsol but many here at MO are satisfied with the performance of both.

BTW, Welcome Aboard! :)

Get the Opsol ($17 direct from the manufacturer) and try the minishells. Even without a brace it is very manageable. I shoot the minishells exclusively and it makes for a fun shooting experience. Aguila, Federal, Challenger are the manufacturers I know of. The ammo is more expensive, around 55-60 cents per shell. I order it from Target Sports USA online in bulk.

I went for the SBL brace on mine. With the SBL, you don't need any other parts, so if you just want a basic brace this may be a cheaper and simpler option. I got mine from Buds Gun Shop in TN, but I'm sure you can find it anywhere for a comparable price. Try Brownells, I think they have the the SBL for around $170, and the SBA3/SBA4 for around $130-140 (but you will need other parts for these as Warhammer stated above).

I do miss the birds' head grip but my range will not allow them unless they can be shouldered (last year someone came in with one, using full-power 3" shells, and made a mess of things).

Last edited:
Thanks for all the advice. Good stuff. I'll research this week and order brace and minishells to practice with. I'll be doing some backcountry flying/camping and liked the idea of a shotgun vs a pistol for protection. Never really was a pistol guy (wife/I have a few) and grew up bird hunting so SW seems like a good fit for my backcountry/boondock flying.

GG&G has their brace kit on sale for $190...looks like it includes a TacStar metal adapter, SBA3 brace and Ergo PG...but I hear the S|BA3's are on back order until middle of March.

https://www.gggaz.com/mossberg-shockwave-brace-kit.html

That's a good deal!

I referenced the Mesa Tactical stock adapter in my earlier post, but I just realized that I actually bought the TacStar (made by Lyman) adapter for my own Shockwave.

Back