• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

IT guidance on home security

dieselmudder

.30-06
Elite Member
"Philanthropist"
A couple years ago I got a wireless security camera kit on Amazon. Well the wireless signal to the recorder isnt very strong. So I'm wanting to go to hardwired. My cameras already have power hardwired to them. They also have a CAT 5 style pigtail on them, and the antenna is a small thread on A/V type connection.

The receiver has no inputs for hardwired, so I know I need to replace it. My question is if I get a receiver that uses Cat 5 type connectors, can I do away with the hardwire power, or can I remove the antennas and get a receiver that uses A/V style connections, and use those type of cords

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

If you're thinking about replacing the cameras, you could go with IP cameras with "POE"... Power Over Ethernet.

The Camera just has a cat 5 socket, and the power comes from a power injector in the cat 5 line somewhere... it can be back near your dvr.

The power injector uses 2 unused cores of the 8 core cat 5 to power the camera... so you only need to run a cat 5 cable to the camera, no seperate power..

If you're thinking about replacing the cameras, you could go with IP cameras with "POE"... Power Over Ethernet.

The Camera just has a cat 5 socket, and the power comes from a power injector in the cat 5 line somewhere... it can be back near your dvr.

The power injector uses 2 unused cores of the 8 core cat 5 to power the camera... so you only need to run a cat 5 cable to the camera, no seperate power..
I think mine are already POE compatible. They do have an ethernet connector, as well as power. I didnt realise what POE meant. That makes sense.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

I think some POE cameras also have power inputs, so you have the choice... just make sure your camera is POE compatible before you hook up a power injector to your cat 5!!

I got a 4 camera kit almost a year ago. It was $180ish and the "wired" kind. I figured if I had to run power may as well run the BNC signal cable, as well. The main issue is getting the DVR box to connect to my router. I get an orange light at the router. It is a Zosi and tech support is poor, based in China, typical "turn it off and turn it back on" crap...

Back