• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 464 Lever Action Troubleshooting

I forgot to mention the group formed by Nos. 5,6 and 7. I had given up after #4 and allowed the barrel to cool. The vertical spread of 5,6 and 7 is obviously excellent and that gave me the heart to perform the McPherson method in full, on my rifle. This target was fired 2/1/2020. Nos. 1,2 and 3 measure under 11/2". All groups were of 3 shots with barrel cooling time in between. Perhaps #5 is a flier; the trigger lets off at 7 pounds. But the rot sets in with 8,9 and 10, which measures 31/2". The big red centre ring measures about 3"D. To easil find the bullet holes, the target was turned upside down after #6 and the next pic in the next post is included so you won't had to stand on your heads (wink).
IMG_0245.JPG

IMG_0243.JPG After the barrel cooled for the umpteenth time the target above was shot at an aiming mark half the size of the previous three. In addition, the RBBS was loosened 1/2 turn for a 13/4" group. I forgot to number the shots but they begin at 10 or 11 o'clock above the 1" centre ring and climb towards higher and left with each successive shot to just inside the edge of the red, again at about 10 o'clock.

I would have liked to post a pic to conclude this Saga but it cannot be found. Not by me anyway and I have been at it for an hour. However, there is a happy ending. Slackening the Front Barrel Band Screw ( FBBS) by 1/4 turn, did little to reduce the vertical dispersion, resulting in a 1" deep, 3-shot group. After allowing the barrel to cool during a target change, my two remaining rounds were fired, for the same result.
I had taken 11 rounds with me and fired three for a 2.25" deep group. No surprises there as the rifle had not been touched since the previous day at the range. Slackening the FBBS by 1/4 turn resulted in a 2.5" group (first para, fourth sentence). Another 1/4 turn less tension did the trick. Eleven shots for the day after years of trying.https://1drv.ms/a/s!AszIMlG45PYckCy8dSFXm76Hj1Ka

The above link added 20/2/20. This is the pic I was trying to upload.

Last edited:
Back