• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Water

My regular supply of drinking water is from a well. As long as I can keep bringing it up to the surface, I'm good. Take care. Tom Worthington

...We had no municipal water after hurricane Maria for almost 3 weeks so this system was perfect, and enough to supply neighbors with drinking water,

If you keep a stored barrel of water, try to use the blue plastic as they are food grade. When I bought two of them they had a quart or so of 7Up syrup in the bottom and it was fun to clean out. (took a lot of water!)

'dog to neighbors: "Hope you like the taste of 7up..." :D

The way people are acting about TP right now, can you imagine what they would do if a water shortage befell us ?

Dogfoot, question for you ..I have an old bucket of GLB pool treatment and there are similar items at the orange box store. But what is Trichloro-s-Triazinetrione? That is the main ingredient on this label. Dehydrated bleach or something to be avoided in drinking water?

i use this and have tried it a few times when the fridge filter went bad and it works super nicely. i use 4 black filters on top and i changed the spigot to a metal version.

Big_no_apple_1800x.jpg

On page one of this thread is a post by (Bob?) that made a filter using Berkey charcoal filters for a fraction of the price. I'm still not a fan of Berkey but it's better than not using anything. They're basic charcoal filters and made in England. We're 8+ years into using an Aqua Rain filter with natural ceramic filters good for 60,000 gallons and made in USA.
Also have a Sawyer or two and Life Straws. With 80-100" of rain p/ year and creeks around us, water is no concern. But there are others! As everywhere.
Best of luck to all out there. I think we 're heading into a real sh*t storm and that things will get worse.

i forgot that i had lifestraws and a sawyer also lying around. i think years ago amazon had them on sale so of course i had to bite.
years ago when i compared aquarain to berkey they both seemed very similar, i was however able to buy a berkey at a discount and they also threw in two more filters vs the two it came with so i went with berkey based upon the deal i got.

they did both seems similar to me.

nowadays there is one called AquaTru which i havent researched but seems nice.

Yeah, I don't recall how much I paid for the AquaRain but might have been on a sale at Emergency Essentials for $180+ but that was 10-11 yrs. ago.
I know you can buy very expensive filters out there but my concern was the source you're drawing from...creek, rain, etc. and if I was drawing municipal water I'd want fluoridation removal front and center. (I read a post where someone said it makes people apathetic--!?)
I don't think AquaRain nor Berkey will remove fluoride but again, there's worse things in water these days..

Back