• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

How is everyone surviving the pandemic?

MikeD

I'm Your Huckleberry
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
"Philanthropist"
Please do not turn this thread into a social/political debate, that can be another thread. Just curious how everyone is doing and spending their time.

After being out of work for a week and a half I pretty much feel like this:

I though I would get more done around the house but realized I need to by parts for everything and so many places are closed or difficult to get into.

I did get a lot of cleaning and sorting done. I fixed a generator I took in trade last year and got it running great. I'm in the process of repairing my pressure washer which started leaking this spring. I had to enlist the help of a friend to machine a part for this as I cannot find the part anywhere online.

Once I get my workroom cleaned up and organized a bit more I am going to make a hunting knife for my nephew.

While my out of state hunting has pretty much been cancelled this year, I am still looking forward to hunting locally. My season here runs from 4/18-5/31.

Not too much difference for me.
Retired, so I can't get fired.
Classes I teach have been canceled till June.
I have long To Do and To Contact lists that may have to be resorted.
Haven't run into too many shortages yet.
"Social distance " protcools suit me just fine. I'm not such a huggy person with strangers anyway, so just stay the hell out of my way! Suits me fine.
I'm old so I'll probably croak in less than 10 years. Just hope it's more exciting than some stupid virus.

Fortunately, not much has changed in our every day routine. Being retired (if there is really such a thing) and living in a rural setting we typically didn't "need to go to town" but every two to three weeks anyway for provisions and/or other necessities. Today marks three weeks since we've ventured out and were doing just fine other than we wish the weather would improve. Still having rain and snow which has delayed our garden preps and planting of crops. Worst comes to worst, we're probably good for another few weeks if necessary. One key is maintaining a robust supply of spare parts or having the ability to fabricate what you need.

Most importantly, we've continued to check on friends and neighbors every few days to make sure they are ok and/or if they need anything. If someone needs something most are willing to share or help out. Despite concerns over this virus, life remains good!

Take care and stay healthy!

Regards

We've been doing OK.

They're talking about a total lock down soon, but not sure how much I'm going to abide by that to be honest. I go up on the mountain to the cabin to check my trail cam frequently. If they try to stop me from doing that, I'm going to get ruffled probably. There is no one supposed to be on the mountain at the cabin, so not sure who they're trying to save me from. But again, that's probably a different topic for another day.

Thankfully, there are no (confirmed) cases in my county at the moment anyway. Or at least none that are reported.

I am unemployed, so i cant get fired too :) Staying a lot at home. I do some quick visits to the local store to get some food n stuff. I also do some shopping for my old mother ( 83 ) when i can. I do some daily checks on websites, keeping an eye on the virus. Feeling the virus crawls closer and closer. We have 6443 infected in Sweden, 1508 in hospital, 374 in intensive care and 373 deaths. My county has 97 infected, 19 in hospital, 8 in intensive care and 0 deaths. I try not to watch to much of the corona news since it fills me with anxiety. I am very worried about my mother and son. Taking one day at a time, hoping to live through it..

Yeah, my middle son works security in our local hospital. He has already had to don his personal gear multiple times taking people up to the floor from the ER. I worry a lot about him, and my Mom, and to be honest with you, the rest of my family too. Been praying for each one of them every night.

Much the same routine for us here. Less going out for sure and not socializing at all. Fortunately, I have an employer that lets me say yes or no without any guff and I know I'm fortunate. I haven't been working full-time for a couple years anyway. I just move heavy trucks for a transporter service now and things are slow due to the virus. We do a fair bit going to & from the US. Nice thing is no sleepers for us...if needed, we do hotels instead...much nicer. I've only worked once in the last 7 days and it was within BC, home the same day and with minimal outside contact. Just the way I like it anyway...lol!

Weather has been decent (by BC standards) so we've been out walking every day and even doing some work in the yard and garden. We care for my 83 yo Dad at home so we don't generally wander too far and take his health and ours very seriously.

I've been cleaning up some things around the house and looking for small projects. So went the machete clean up and I've got some parts on order for my shotgun. Will clean all my guns, just cuz. I wish I could get out to do more shooting but they've made it tougher and tougher to shoot here....hafta go so much further out now than even a couple years ago. Turns shooting into a day trip instead of a few hours.

I hate to say it, but it really feels like we're just marking time until something drastic changes in my Dad's health. Both my wife and I are itching to leave the suburban life behind and start a new chapter. However, family first and we've got lots of years ahead of us yet God willing. Can't hardly imagine my Dad getting this virus, it would be an awful way to go...him all alone, us not able to visit...makes me sick to think about it.

Last edited:
I agree cmcdonald. That really upsets me too. Here, they're not even allowing funerals (in the traditional sense) because of 10 or more people gathered and all that other silliness. I spoke to a funeral director and he told me that the state would revoke their licenses if they didn't comply.

Not much change for me here in the UK.... I'm a computer techy guy, so I can, (and am expected to) work from home... so all those little jobs that other people can do now they're off, I can't (Theoretically :) )
My wife works in a local creche, so thats closed and shes off... makes a change, i'm give her a list of jobs to do.. :D

Here in the Uk we're all supposed to be staying at home, allowed out for an hour of exercise, or if your work is essential, or to go shopping or to get meds.

A lot of people are not following that though, and I've a feeling that because of those a**holes tighter restrictions will come.

Not much change for me here in the UK.... I'm a computer techy guy, so I can, (and am expected to) work from home... so all those little jobs that other people can do now they're off, I can't (Theoretically :) )
My wife works in a local creche, so thats closed and shes off... makes a change, i'm give her a list of jobs to do.. :D

Here in the Uk we're all supposed to be staying at home, allowed out for an hour of exercise, or if your work is essential, or to go shopping or to get meds.

A lot of people are not following that though, and I've a feeling that because of those a**holes tighter restrictions will come.

I work as a software developer, DBA, my company choose to lay us off rather than let us work on our huge backlog of projects.

Certified public accountant... went paperless 2 years ago. It’s slower working from home. But it’s doable.

feeding the needy and Elderly Saturday at my church. Fed about 200 families the past 3 weeks.

I direct the traffic in the parking lot to maintain order as the pantry is now drive thru.

I do all the shopping for my family.

I agree cmcdonald. That really upsets me too. Here, they're not even allowing funerals (in the traditional sense) because of 10 or more people gathered and all that other silliness. I spoke to a funeral director and he told me that the state would revoke their licenses if they didn't comply.
I don't know if they're allowing funerals here or not. Last I heard we were still restricted to gatherings of less than 50. But said gathering would still require 6ft distancing. Our numbers aren't spiking like a lot of areas and I'm wondering if that has more to do with who is being tested rather than an actual reflection of what's happening in the community. Anyway, we're finding when we're out walking that most people are respectful of the distancing requirements. So I'm sure it must be having some impact on community transmission numbers, but how much is truly up for debate.

Here's something I am curious about.

I have read how rare it is for a virus to jump species.

If what they are telling us from china is correct (which I don't believe in the first place) is that the virus jumped from a bat to a human.

OK. Let's just say that it true. It jumped species.

Then, you read this:
basically the virus jumps from a human to a dog.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/global-...erts-confirm-human-animal-spread-coronavirus/

OK, that means it jumped again. Which would be almost literally and completely impossible. Virus' don't hardly work that way.

But if that was not enough, now I read where a tiger in a zoo has been tested and is positive. So, tell me what the odds are of that it could jump at least 4 three times in a matter of months?

Folks, they can cover this as deep as they want, but this isn't right.

https://www.businessinsider.com/tiger-tests-positive-for-covid-19-bronx-zoo-in-nyc-2020-4?op=1

So what is going to happen next? If it jumps that easily, just wait until stray dogs and cats and rats and pigeons are going to be spreading it in urban centers.

Here's something I am curious about.

I have read how rare it is for a virus to jump species.

If what they are telling us from china is correct (which I don't believe in the first place) is that the virus jumped from a bat to a human.

OK. Let's just say that it true. It jumped species.

Then, you read this:
basically the virus jumps from a human to a dog.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/global-...erts-confirm-human-animal-spread-coronavirus/

OK, that means it jumped again. Which would be almost literally and completely impossible. Virus' don't hardly work that way.

But if that was not enough, now I read where a tiger in a zoo has been tested and is positive. So, tell me what the odds are of that it could jump at least 4 three times in a matter of months?

Folks, they can cover this as deep as they want, but this isn't right.

https://www.businessinsider.com/tiger-tests-positive-for-covid-19-bronx-zoo-in-nyc-2020-4?op=1

So what is going to happen next? If it jumps that easily, just wait until stray dogs and cats and rats and pigeons are going to be spreading it in urban centers.
That is some scary stuff. I'm gonna post a quote and a link in the virus thread from a scientific article published in 2003.

We are doing well here too. Both of us are retired, I do some occasional odd jobs, so we are ok in that department. The biggest problem with that is we have to maintain our guard, don't get complacent.

I have been working around the house and waiting for better weather. We have had about a 50-50 split on the weather for the past month.

My dad and sister live in Ohio. He is 93 and stays indoors. I don't like the way he eats, but is set in his ways. My sister lives with him as she quit her job about a year ago. I talk to him every day to keep up.

My two sons are in Omaha and both are still at their jobs. Oldest works from home so no problem there. The youngest installs and services high end water treatment systems and really does not have much direct contact with customers.

Anyways, I try to keep my head up and stay ready for what the future holds.

Went out today

Kroger has directional isles to help with social distencing. I didn't even notice til i was done. Oops

Walmart has a queue to get in, only 30 people at a time in the store. They finally have TP but only one 4 pack per person. And they are the smallest rolls I've ever seen.

Family Dollar has TP limit 4 packages per customer and they are the 12 roll packs. Bought 2. Didnt want to be greedy just want to keep stocked.

Raked the yard today and reseasoned the flat top.
IMG_20200406_144135_01.jpg
Had some rust from the winter.

Damn wood pile is fill of bees again. Think they are some type of wood bee, they are in small holes in the wood. And they are small, barely bigger than a house fly. I spray every year and they keep coming back. My

Back