• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Noticing a lot of pistol caliber carbines being sold

I forgot @nitesite has one too...y'all are lucky bums!

I love mine! I don't have a cool suppressor, but I do get to have my Scorpion right beside me at work. It is fantastic for building and room entries. Mine does have a TLR-1 and an Aimpoint Micro T-1 that stays "ON" 24-7 and I bring it inside at home for a home defense gun. Really dependable and its accuracy is above adequate.

Here is mine. I have since put on a good side mount sling for LE duty. That one in the photo is gone.

View attachment 23025
Such a nice set up nitesite. Love it! Feel free to post up your new sling set up...lol.

Nobody can deny loving the look of a brand spankin' new member of the collection. However, there is an undeniable quality, a magnetism, of a firearm used in service; showing it's been used AND the fact that someone relies on it daily.

I wish I could like your post a 1000+ times............

The beretta was fairly popular back when they were first being released. I even saw one at my local Walmart in the case once believe it or not. I don't recall how many have been sold over the years, but I'm certain it's not as many as other pistol cal carbines though.

FWIW, I would try to find one at someplace other than cheaper than dirt though. They're dirt bags.

The beretta was fairly popular back when they were first being released. I even saw one at my local Walmart in the case once believe it or not. I don't recall how many have been sold over the years, but I'm certain it's not as many as other pistol cal carbines though.

FWIW, I would try to find one at someplace other than cheaper than dirt though. They're dirt bags.
Ah, the good ole days of Walmart guns. I bought my first rifle from Walmart when I was a youngster. Now I think they’ve stopped selling pistol ammo.
Are the pistol cal carbines (in general) pretty cool? Does one have to buy a high-end brand to get one that doesn’t suck as far as feeding and such?
How many yards are they “good for?” Is 50 yds reasonable? Or are we taking more like 20 yds?
Cheaper than dirt is a bunch of d!cks? I’ve never messed with them.

Are the pistol cal carbines (in general) pretty cool? Does one have to buy a high-end brand to get one that doesn’t suck as far as feeding and such?

I think they are. But I own just one, a CZ Scorpion EVO 3 S1. It is renowned for being incredibly reliable.

How many yards are they “good for?” Is 50 yds reasonable? Or are we taking more like 20 yds?

Fifty is easy. Even 75~100 is pretty sustainable during rapid fire. I have mine as an entry/room/building clearing gun as well as a home defense weapon. I have no fantasies of firing mine beyond 50-yards. The Aimpoint Micro T-1 on it stays ON 24/7/365 for five years on a single CR 2032 battery. I can hit a coffee cup from Zero-Fifty in the blink of an eye.

than dirt is a bunch of d!cks? I’ve never messed with them.

Yes. They are.

Cheaper than dirt is a bunch of d!cks? I’ve never messed with them.

I own a few pistol cal guns. (no, it's really not a mental illness, I really just like pistol caliber carbines and such).

Even $250 Hi Point carbines are actually pretty good and you can get them in 9mm, 40S&W, 10mm and even 45acp.

With 9mm, you can easily take it out to 100-150'ish yards without much effort. I routinely shoot at 75 yards off hand and ring steel using most any of mine. Granted they are not sniper rifles, but if you do your part, you can generally hit a paper plate out to 100 without much effort at all.

I am in the process of sourcing as many parts as pieces as I can to build my dream pistol caliber gun as I type this. It will be in 45acp. And I'm hoping it's going to be as epic as I think. It has been my holy grail gun for a long time, despite the design being almost 100 years old now.

I own a few pistol cal guns. (no, it's really not a mental illness, I really just like pistol caliber carbines and such).

Even $250 Hi Point carbines are actually pretty good and you can get them in 9mm, 40S&W, 10mm and even 45acp.

With 9mm, you can easily take it out to 100-150'ish yards without much effort. I routinely shoot at 75 yards off hand and ring steel using most any of mine. Granted they are not sniper rifles, but if you do your part, you can generally hit a paper plate out to 100 without much effort at all.

I am in the process of sourcing as many parts as pieces as I can to build my dream pistol caliber gun as I type this. It will be in 45acp. And I'm hoping it's going to be as epic as I think. It has been my holy grail gun for a long time, despite the design being almost 100 years old now.
How are the .40’s? My pistol is a .40 so one it’d kinda be alright to only have to buy one type of ammo.

Last edited:
The 40's are fine. They shoot very similarly to 9mm, but heavier bullets so...Yay!

The 40's are fine. They shoot very similarly to 9mm, but heavier bullets so...Yay!

I gotta say, a Hi-Point Carbine is one very under appreciated pistol caliber carbine. I think they are worth far more than what they go for. And their customer support and warranty service cannot be beat.

That is very true about Hipoint. Actually, all of it.

I have a friend who is a Deputy in one of the Parishes in New Orleans. When katrina hit, about 3 feet of his home was under water for an extended period of time.

During all of that, naturally, water got into his safe. Out of all of the guns that was damaged, he made a phone call to hi point and they told him to send it back to them so they could look at it.

4 days later, he received a phone call from hi point telling him that they were going to replace the gun and since it was a different serial number, they would have to send it to a dealer for transfer, but they picked up all the costs. Shipping, carbine, the whole 9 yards.

That's well above and beyond what every other company told him and of all the companies he spoke with, Hi point is the only company that went above and beyond.

FWIW, my brother in law loves their handguns. I'm not one of the biggest fans of them, but it's unusual to see him outside in the yard without it hanging on his hip. He trusts it to go bang. I guess at the end of the day, that's all anyone can really expect one to do.

Although many would not approve :rolleyes:, Demo Ranch Matt puts Hi-Point pistols through their paces! I'm sure he's helped sell thousands of them! :D Search LINK

My only issue with the Hi Point 40 S&W carbine is the spotty quality of the magazines. When you get a couple that work consistently, hang on to them. Seriously, if I believed my Hi Point 40 S&W carbine would cycle and fire rounds as consistently my Maverick 88, it would be our go-to home defense weapon for my wife. And I absolutely love my Rossi lever action .357. Take care. Tom Worthington

Back