• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Worn 590A1 PD trade in

sigfla

.22LR
I have an older PD trade in gun. It has the usual wear on the outside for a mistreated cruiser gun. I decided to freshen it up a bit whether it needed it or not and ordered the following parts.
1. Firing pin, spring, and retainer
2. Extracter
3. Ejectors and springs
4. New extractor screw (had old Tacstar saddle with long screw). Converting to ESSTAC velcro cards like my other guns
5. New Magpul SGA (already has a nice Surefire forend light)

These are all the things I could think of that could be worn out off the top of my head. Does anyone suggest anything else I might need or want to change? I have no idea what wear is on the gun other than the inside looks good (the bolt face looks pristine) but the exterior is beat up. I'll prob pull the magazine retainer and clean out the tube but as yet I didn't bother buying a new spring or follower. I figure these guns stay loaded and even if it went through a few courses of fire I doubt the spring was that worn. (now that I type that last sentence I feel cheap for not buying a new one... lol ) Anyway, any suggestions?

You could always ceracoat or rattle can the exterior to pretty it up.

New pieces may benefit from minor dressing up of sharp edges with a file or stone. I don't mean the extractor hook or anything like that, but the "sharps" from stamping.

BTW, Welcome Aboard! :)

PS: we're going to need some pictures... ;)

Welcome to the forum but based on your list I wouldn't do anything else until you shoot it.

Thanks all. I received my new Meprolight front sight today and installed it. Wasn't difficult at all with a proper set of punches. When facing the front of the gun remove the old sight from right to left. Install the new sight from left to right. Thats how the Metro instructions said to do it and they came off easy and went on easy after a slight sanding of the bottom. They suggest you get the sight on halfway then punch the rest. I was hesitant to take of much metal so I only went maybe 1/4 then banged the sight on with a punch. It slid right in and I only needed to adjust the last little bit with a few light hits.

I also installed the new extractor and screw along with a new trigger group pin. I had to install the pin and screw to bring he gun back to stock after I took the Tacstar saddle off. I'll degrease later and install my velcro saddle next. The new pin and ejector may wait until I hit the range as its a bit more than I feel like dissembling unless I need to. Besides that I don't have the left side or new springs yet anyway. Hopefully the new SGA arrives soon.

So I went ahead and ordered a new follower and spring. It arrived today and I quickly installed it before going to the office. My stock spring was super compressed and the new one was much longer. I didn't bother to clean out the tube bc the new follower slid right in and sounded very smooth. I ordered a Daves metal works red one. Its much easier to see in the magazine port. Shells now rocket out of the magazine and I didn't lose any capacity.

Back