• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Show Us your Bike

Yeah that Nomad is sure different. The engine is rubber mounted as well but it also has a rotating counter balance. I guess some Harley's got that as well.

At 90 inches, mine is good for maybe 90 ftlb and 65 hp, which is a good six horsepower over stock. The Nomad relies mostly on torque to get around, but it will zip up to 5900 RPM before the rev limiter kicks in.

I never thought it was lacking in power, but they are awful heavy bikes.

Of course covering it with Chrome doesn't help.

In stop light racing, I usually smoked the Harley's off the line but they always passed me on the freeway.

I might like to go ride a Milwaukee 8 and see what that's like.

In stop light racing, I usually smoked the Harley's off the line but they always passed me on the freeway.

Because of the weight differential this really shouldn't have happened, but I think because of the clutch that Nomad is much easier to launch hard then a Harley. Once you get going the inertia of that drive shaft hinders you trying to speed up on freeway.

One of the reasons that Nomad is a bit slower on the freeway is it the transmission was designed for a higher horsepower engine.

It has double Overdrive, but I believe they detuned it a bit at the factory because people were trashing the drive shafts.

Consequently it goes faster in 4th gear than it does in 5th gear.

I never see Harleys shift down on the freeway, but if I want to buzz it up to a hundred miles an hour I always do.

I'm dropping out of double overdrive into overdrive, so it's entirely possible to kick it down two gears at 60 miles an hour, but you'd only stay in 3rd gear for about 2 seconds.

I've owned some Harleys, both Sportsters and big twins in another life. I always liked em, always will, but I have always wanted a Beemer. I just never pulled the trigger. I rode one once and loved it, but unfortunately these days I probably won't ever have one.

The Nomad has been a great bike and continues to serve me well. Odometer is past 88,000 now and just keeps adding on.

That is a sweet ride you have Kamen. Looks like the best of both worlds. Part sport bike, part touring bike. I imagine it does both well.

I haven't been following this because I don't have a bike. Recently however, I began considering something small to use to ride into town for short trips and something my older daughter could use to go to work if she wanted.

I had been thinking of a scooter or maybe a 125 dual purpose bike. Something cheap I don't mind dumping.

I have a friend who builds bikes though. So I consulted with him. He and another friend have a couple project bikes in the works currently but he mentioned he has a DOHC CB 750 motor and a few frames to choose from. So now it's evolving in to maybe building a bike.

I'd like to build something like a scrambler style or board track race bike with dual purpose tires and some clearance. My friends style is more like short bobs and choppers. He'd like me to go that direction but he's on board with whatever I'm interested in.

This is what I want to build.

IMG_1253.JPG

Well it looks like fun on the dirt or in town, but also a Widowmaker on wet pavement.

If you've ever gone down a wet street sideways on a bike with knobbies you'll understand what I mean.

Here's a thought, sort of stolen from my riding mentor, Andy. Spend some money for some dirt bike training for you and your daughter's skill levels [beginner, intermediate?].

A few hundred bux and you get to know the limits in a safe environment that will give you some feel that will serve you well. Try MSF as a starting point.
https://training.msf-usa.org/res/dbs/enroll/dbsintro.aspx

1_CourseTypeGroup.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah ditto what Scoop sez.

Learning to ride in the dirt has three main advantages.

Rocks and trees don't suddenly pull out in front of you causing you to crash.

If you do crash it usually won't hurt as much as the asphalt or concrete.

But most importantly, you will learn what happens when you have loose traction.

You don't want to learn how to deal with lose traction on the asphalt, when you hit a puddle of antifreeze turning left through an intersection with oncoming traffic.

Plus it's just total fun to get crossed up in the dirt and do the hot shoe. The only time you get to do that on the street is when your ass is on the line.

Ditto on the above mentioned. If you were to go that route, the bike in the pictures, look into a set of good dual purpose tires.

Ditto on the above mentioned. If you were to go that route, the bike in the pictures, look into a set of good dual purpose tires.

I agree and good point. I was thinking dual sport tires maybe 60/40 road/dirt.

Thank you Scoop and I will post another picture of my bike except it’s embarrassingly dirty. Also I got a garage full of stuff right now.

Back