• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Best mount kit and flashlight for the Mossberg 590 Shockwave?

I waited for the 500 Lumen Crimson Trace Light to come in, still on order.
Ordered an Olight, came in and is on the Shockwave, PL 2, 1200 Lumen, strobe also.

standard.jpg

Chameleon, looks good.

I'd be interested in your review of the Olight. Noticed their offering recently and while the price point is attractive but it appears to be somewhat longer that other popular lights. Noticed how you mounted it more to rear. Did it extend beyond the muzzle if mounted forward?

After you've used it for awhile let us know how it performs.

Regards

Yes, at 1200 lumen's that Olight PL-2 is definitely a sweet looking tactical light attachment feature for the Shockwave 590, not bad at all!

I waited for the 500 Lumen Crimson Trace Light to come in, still on order.
Ordered an Olight, came in and is on the Shockwave, PL 2, 1200 Lumen, strobe also.

standard.jpg

Chameleon, looks good.

I'd be interested in your review of the Olight. Noticed their offering recently and while the price point is attractive but it appears to be somewhat longer that other popular lights. Noticed how you mounted it more to rear. Did it extend beyond the muzzle if mounted forward?

After you've used it for awhile let us know how it performs.

Regards

I just removed the light and mounted it as far forward as I could possibly mount the light, it does not go past the muzzle.
Very little rocking motion with the light, it lights up the backyard, nice throw.
No issues turning on off or changing to strobe without a pad switch. I have a receiver mounted red laser with a pad switch.

Olight is having a sale on Friday.
I’d like to have bought the rechargeable version.

I still have the Crimson Trace Light in order, so I guess I can have a comparison.

To me, I’d prefer the pad switch for the light, not be concerned with a laser.
I’m removing my lasers from my pistols, for training I think lasers are great, in the practical world and shooting at the range, they are of little value. A good light far surpasses the laser on pistols, perhaps on the Shockwave as well.

Today I received my Mossberg Shockwave carry bag. Yeah it has Mossberg name on it, I was going to have it professionally covered, I go to a sport shop that makes team jerseys and have him affix just black over the product name, works well.

My wife likes the way it looks, and it may not be used much at all if I go ahead with the brace.
The Shockwave with the brace will not fit in the case.

Oh the case is of great quality, nice robust zipper, Velcro closure on two side pockets, elastic shell holder in both pockets. Very nice liner, so soft on the Shockwave.
Mine was a gift from my friend and dealer.
Like every gift he gives me, I will cherish it.

I am not excited about a laser.
I have been shooting pistols a long time, I practice focusing on the front sight.
I bought a nice Sig laser for my 365, and replaced the stock slide with an SAS slide, has no front sight.
I went to the range a few times trying the laser, I just didn’t like it.
I took it off a few days ago.

I’m not one for lasers on my handguns, lights yes, but the laser on a Shockwave makes it easier to aim and shoot. Especially from the hip.

You'd be better off buying the Crimson Trace laser for it so you can actually hit things with it.

:)

I don’t have a Crimson Trace on the Shockwave, I have a Red UTG Laser that mounts on the receiver.
I installed the pad switch. No it is not nearly as nice as the Crimson Trace, but the dealer had it in stock and put it on for me.
It is fun to dry practice.
Not sure the receiver CT will fit on a 20 gauge version Shockwave.

Laser experiences at the range on my pistols have been terrible. I will not rely on any of them.
Example, my Glocks, I have a LaserMax for my G43, it fits the G48 as well.
Dry practicing at home the laser works great. I holster the Glock, sometimes the laser turns on.
Holster accommodates the LaserMax. I get to the range session, the laser shuts off while shooting.
Tried many times, in fact the LaserMax is still in the G43.
Streamlight TLR6, no issue with the light or laser at the range, both worked through many shooting sessions. Decided the light is nice, but just don’t like the laser. I shoot much better with sights.
I know there is a place for lasers, the Shockwave could be one of those places, so I’m willing to try it.

I am not excited about a laser.
I have been shooting pistols a long time, I practice focusing on the front sight.
I bought a nice Sig laser for my 365, and replaced the stock slide with an SAS slide, has no front sight.
I went to the range a few times trying the laser, I just didn’t like it.
I took it off a few days ago.

If you are firing the Shockwave properly there is no front sight to look at it. You are shooting from the hip. A laser aiming system increases the chances of you hitting what you are shooting at enormously. At the close distances you will be shooting it at, you must get accurate hits. Unless you are one of those people who think, "You don't have to aim a shotgun, they spray lead"

If you are firing the Shockwave properly there is no front sight to look at it. You are shooting from the hip. A laser aiming system increases the chances of you hitting what you are shooting at enormously. At the close distances you will be shooting it at, you must get accurate hits. Unless you are one of those people who think, "You don't have to aim a shotgun, they spray lead"

I have the laser on the Shockwave and I’ll see how it survives, I do like the idea of the Crimson Trace location.
Lasers on a Shockwave for self defense seems logical.
Always aim a shotgun, or a Shockwave. At turkey shoots, who wins a turkey firing from the hip. I never saw anyone use a laser at a turkey shoot, but I have not been in a long time.
No, I blacked out the front sight on the Shockwave. I can’t easily see it with my laser mounted where it is.

Again...the purpose of putting a laser on a Shockwave is that you can not mount and aim a Shockwave as it were a long gun, unless you liked getting puched hard in the face. You shoot them from the hip, at close ranges, therefore a laser.

It ain't your grandpa's turkey gun.

I am actually listing my "best solution" to mounting a light on a Shockwave on eBay right now (same user name), simply because I ended up going with a Paduk wood set from eBay (looks and fits great, by the way, so "classic"). My best solution was an Ergo Picatinny railed forearm, with three full length rails, which I had those ladder type rail covers on them. I mounted an Inforce WMLX Gen 2 weapon light up front, on the bottom, and a hand stop in back, again, bottom rail. Those both provided positive hand stop, front and rear, and the ladder rail covers allowed grip, with out being sharp. Light travels with the forearm, with control remaining at fingertips, either momentary or full on/off, selectable, with also a lockout bail to prevent inadvertent activation.

Back