• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Ammo available in your area.

I go to pawn shops and other small stores.. Also have a Big 5 sports store out here that nobody really pays much attention to. I've been checking around once a week and the owners/employees tell me when the next truck will be in.

Also, check armslist. But be careful.

walmart near me still has those 100 value boxes of $22 shotgun 12 ga ammo.

seems like a good price for out the door ammo.

online its about $32 per 100 including shipping and i have to order 500 to get that price.

$21 A box over here, either Federal or Winchester. I've been shooting alot of those lately.. my shotgun hates the winchester universal.

Got 2 boxes of 30/30 at Academy yesterday. In the isle where it should be. My guess is that the trucks are running behind schedule because the shelves were sorta bare.

I stopped by Academy yesterday. They were out of a few calibers and had a limit of 5 boxes per customer. I bought 5 boxes of 5.56.

23141975-ADCA-4DAC-83D6-4BAF4510FC57.jpeg When do y’all think it will slow down? How long after a “panic” does it usually take for things to go back to normal?
There’s lots of 6.5 ammo but the rest is pretty thin.

Unless you guys have to buy locally, I get my best ammo prices online using Ammoseek.com

Target seems to be offering the best prices and inventory. I know a lot of guys join their "prime" buying service, or whatever they call it, and they buy enough to justify the cost because they get free shipping.

Personally, as for how long, I think folks will be buying like crazy through the election. After the election it will depend on who wins. If the left were to keep the house, gain the upper hand in the senate, and Biden win the presidency, firearm owners will have strong headwinds to deal with.

Unless you guys have to buy locally, I get my best ammo prices online using Ammoseek.com

Target seems to be offering the best prices and inventory. I know a lot of guys join their "prime" buying service, or whatever they call it, and they buy enough to justify the cost because they get free shipping.
I don’t “have” to buy locally, I just don’t have $300 to drop on bulk ammo. It’d be nice to just go buy a box or two locally as needed. I hope those days don’t go the way of the dinosaur.
Walmart was my go to for the longest. But they don’t have pistol ammo anymore (that I’ve seen), and I don’t shoot skeet with my shotgun. So it’s off to Academy these days.

Last edited:
Personally, as for how long, I think folks will be buying like crazy through the election. After the election it will depend on who wins. If the left were to keep the house, gain the upper hand in the senate, and Biden win the presidency, firearm owners will have strong headwinds to deal with.
I wish there was a dislike button.:rolleye: I don’t want to deal with the headwinds.

Precisely...if you were not well stocked up and maintaining a good supply of ammo and keeping it supplied, you have not learned from the last several shortages. I never let my various caliber ammo stashes drop below a certain level. I replenish by the case. Shoot a case, by a case, etc.

Precisely...if you were not well stocked up and maintaining a good supply of ammo and keeping it supplied, you have not learned from the last several shortages. I never let my various caliber ammo stashes drop below a certain level. I replenish by the case. Shoot a case, by a case, etc.
I’m not preparing for the end of the world exactly. Just recreational. My .223, 12 gauge, etc prob won’t fair too well vs an aircraft carrier.
We can blame ourselves and other hoarders for the shortage though. It’s not like they’re making any less. We’re just helping the rich get richer is all.
As far as not learning from the past goes, why haven’t they learned yet from that nothing is going to happen so they can continue to purchase at a “normal” rate?

Last edited:
What is purchasing at a "normal" rate?
What’s a “normal rate?” How it was prior to the corona. You know how it was when there were still products on the shelves? That’s a “normal rate.” There we’re still people buying bulk of course, but every Tom, Dick, and Harry wasn’t buying ammo that they’ll never use. People that don’t even shoot very much are buying now. If they weren’t there’d still be product availability don’t you think?
Remember the toilet paper panic? That was a non normal rate. Y2K- “non normal rate.” If people were buying at a “normal rate” this thread wouldn’t exist.

Last edited:
Sorry, but if you didn't have an adequate supply of ammo before the latest "panic buy" you didn't learn anything during the last half-dozen panic buys. Experience is the best teacher. You've got nobody to blame but yourself. These things happen, over and over and over and over again.

Sorry, but if you didn't have an adequate supply of ammo before the latest "panic buy" you didn't learn anything during the last half-dozen panic buys. Experience is the best teacher. You've got nobody to blame but yourself. These things happen, over and over and over and over again.
What’s an adequate supply?

An "adequate supply" ... apparently more than you had on hand. :)

I've already indicated how I choose to remain adequately supplied. You have indicated you chose not to have an adequate supply on hand. If your idea of "enough" is a couple boxes of shells ... well, I guess you are just SOL, aren't you? Learn for next time and don't let it happen to you again. Just stop whining about the situation which YOU easily could have avoided. Or, keep whining.

You are deliberately now just choosing to miss the point. But I suspect you in fact do get it and will be better prepared for the next crisis shortage/panic buying situation. I hope. Or, see you here next time around whining and complaining that you can't find any ammo locally when you want it.

Last edited:
An "adequate supply" ... apparently more than you had on hand. :)

I've already indicated how I choose to remain adequately supplied. You have indicated you chose not to have an adequate supply on hand.

If your idea of "enough" is a couple boxes of shells ... well, I guess you are just SOL, aren't you?

Learn for next time and don't let it happen to you again, and for God's sake, stop whining about the situation which YOU easily could have avoided.
Well sir, I recently purchased a new firearm for hunting and I can’t find any suitable ammo. That’s why I’m whining. If I’d have had this gun four months ago I’d probably have a few boxes of suitable ammo for the task. Also, I don’t have hundreds of dollars to drop on bulk ammo. So there’s that.
A box of twenty is an adequate amount for self and home defense. Even if all you had was a .22 it wouldn’t take twenty rounds. The fight would long be over one way or another long before twenty shots were fired. So I have a realistic “adequate” amount in that regards. A box of twenty is an adequate amount for most hunting as well. For a weekend of dove hunting you’d want a little more I suppose, but in my state the daily bag limit is “only” fifteen.
What stinks the most is that the rational people are the ones that are “supposed to learn from the past” and conform to the nonsense. So now that we know that Y2K panic buying of home goods can happen at anytime, are you going to start stockpiling canned goods and toilet paper year round as well just in case? My new hobby- buying cases of canned corn.

Last edited:
Back