• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Question Of The Month. (May 2020) (Rights During Pandemic)

If I were younger and had a mortgage, car payment, or kids to feed I would consider my job essential no matter what it was. Since I am old and for the most part retired I don't have to worry about those things. That being said, I whole heartedly agree with those that want to go back to work. What's more, I think it is their right.

I have been wearing a mask when I go out but I don't fret over those that don't, I just happen to choose to. Same as wearing a helmet when I ride my motorcycle. I choose to wear a helmet but support those that don't.

This country was founded on the principal of life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. It's up to me to protect my life, up to me to be happy, and up to me to protect my Liberty. None of these are mysteriously given to someone else to determine what makes me happy, how much Liberty I should have,or how I liv.e my private life.

Next months question should be, "when a vaccine becomes available will you take it?"
I'm always looking for the next question this late in the month. I was debating moving off the pandemic theme but that's a good question.

Pensylvania is a mess due to the stupidity of last term Governor Wolf and the transexual Health Secretary, Dr. Rachel Levine. The governor signed a 90 day statewide emergency declaration on April 6th and has acted without the legislature or transparancy since. He has already announced as soon as the 90 days is up he will sign a second emergency declaration. They seem to be winging it with the decision making. We were told in the beginning that the closures and home lockdown would last until we were over the peak and hospitals would not be over run. That occured in the beginning of May but nothing changed. The southeast corner of the state is still on lockdown until June 6th. My county is one of them however our county comisioners had some balls and voted that we would open around May 10th. The governor responded with threats of with holding federal funds and pulling business licenses for those that open early. Of the counties that opened early only the county where Harrisburg is located folded to his threat. He has us on a red/yellow/green ranking. Of interesting note, green is not "back to normal". We have had a few protests where people showed up open carrying rifles which really pissed off the leftists.

The biggest screw up: they had a plan for long term care facilities which they did not get implemented in time. The virus got into these facilities where it ran wild. This was aided by our leaders that required LTC facilities to accept patients with active Covid19. At the same time he didn't protect our elderly, Governor Idiot was releasing prisoners to protect them for the disease. We are required to wear masks in public now. If they are so great why didn't they have prisoners wear them. PA has been one of the worse states for Covid19 and 2/3 of our deaths have occured in the LTC facilities. I almost forgot, Dr. Levine pulled his mother out of a LTC facility the day they announced they had to take Covid 19 patients. Lastly, they were caught adding deaths to the count that weren't from Covid19.

On the plus side, for the first time ever a lot of people seem to have awakened to the loss of their rights and a governor acting as a king. The backlash is growing. Between business ignoring edicts to a huge social media group, anger has been stoked and the flames growing. Sadly, there is another part of the population that is in full goose stepping mode. The governor had a hot line to call and turn in friends and relatives that aren't following the "new normal" rules. It was ruined by the awoke calling in pranks. You can always tell the sheeple. They are the ones driving alone in a car with a mask on. They also defend the comunity over individual Constitutional rights, have total acceptance that the government is honest and will take care of them. It's going to be a long summer.

Last edited:
Does anybody have some dumb rules that were enacted over the Pandemic?

One of the most idiotic was week or two ago in NJ. You could surf fish at the beach but you couldn't sit on a chair while you did it.

A man goes home and tells his wife they are moving due to the living conditions imposed upon them by the ruling party. He tells her they can take only a few items of clothing as they have to leave immediately. She asks him where they are going and how will they get there ? He tells her they are going to a new land far away, and they, along with about 100 or so folks, on a ship called the Mayflower....

Can you imagine how bad things must have been under the rule of the king for those people to move to such an unknown in the hopes of a better life. There were no snowflakes on the Mayflower.

Thankfully They were up to the task.

Does anybody have some dumb rules that were enacted over the Pandemic?

One of the most idiotic was week or two ago in NJ. You could surf fish at the beach but you couldn't sit on a chair while you did it.

Our governor banned the sale of seeds, lawn furniture, landscaping supplies, paint...pretty much any product she felt was nonessential. But only banned in big stores over 50ksq/ft. But not insin stores where you cant spread out.

We could fish but not use a boat with a motor.

These have both been rescinded.

The part of the state opened up is the part where her summer home is and opened up just in time for Memorial Day.

Her husband name dropped to try and get his dock put in early before the holiday so they could go boating while we were all told to continue to stay home.

We had a dam failure resulting partly due because the AG refused to allow lower water levels because of some mussels that lived there. The result was a dam that was already in disrepair failing because it got overloaded with a recent storm. Not pandemic related but left many homeless during this mess.

We have about twice the exec orders of any other state and i have stopped paying attention to any of her safety restrictions. She is trying hard to be the worst governor in the country.

Sadly as much damage and jobs lost the few big blue dots on the map will probably elect her again. The sheep love to be dominated.

Mike, it seems to me your governor wants to see just how much control she can exert. I have heard some people suggest this pandemic is being used as a test run to see how we will react to a complete government takeover of our lives.

The silver lining is that people got a taste of it and spit it out. Oh sure, there are those that would like a nanny state, but there are many that were probably following along, minding their own business thinking the government would never try to take away their rights. This has been a wake up call for them.

Whither is the perfect example of "you will do things my way or else".

I try to look strictly at the numbers. As skewed as they are they still do support the actions taken. Assuming they are inflated makes their actions even more tyranical.

At a time of pandemic, measures must be taken to protect public safety. One can debate what measures, how much, how long, but the claim that government is not allowed or empowered to limit "rights" for any reason is simply false.

For instance, it is illegal to scream "fire" in a crowded theater and claim, "I have the first amendment right to do that."

At a time of pandemic, measures must be taken to protect public safety. One can debate what measures, how much, how long, but the claim that government is not allowed or empowered to limit "rights" for any reason is simply false.

For instance, it is illegal to scream "fire" in a crowded theater and claim, "I have the first amendment right to do that."

I do not entirely disagree but there are limits.

This is not nearly as bad as they said it would be. A million plus people have not died and hospitals country wide have not been overrun.

The rules imposed, esp now that the curve has flattened no longer align with what they were imposed to prevent ( overrunning the healthcare system).

Many of the rules are arbitrary and used control people, as they have no logical ties to slowing the virus.

The gov has an obligation to protect the public but not at the expense of destroying the economy, peoples life savings, retirements and buisinesses they have built over lifetimes and generations.

The death toll and damage done by the virus does not justify the overreach of the gov, esp local governments.

If we all had a crystal ball everything would always turn out as we want it to.

I do not mind being too careful, rather than not careful enough when facing this kind of deadly virus for which there is no cure or vaccine. I think it is way too soon to start making generalizations about "what we should" or "what we should not" have done.

On the one hand, we have the economic devastation and the quarantine/stay at home orders, which have kept people away from their regular/routine medical care which will result in people having cancers that may have been treatable but now it is too late, and a whole other host of things.

The cascading effect of people not being out and about has been amazing to watch, it literally has scrambled my brain. I consider, for example, the "stone in the pond" ripple effect of something as routine as getting gas at a gas station.

I have not purchased gasoline for my truck for now nearly 11 weeks. I was filling it up every week while I was commuting. Now just imagine that I'm one person, multiply my experience by millions and ...how to gas stations/convenience stores even remain open?

And on and on.

My wife and I received a check signed by the President of the United States for $2400. What? That's insane. That's never happened. We have not even spent it. I just put it in the savings account. I took out around $4,000 in cash and have it locked in my safe at home. I have more money in my bank account in a liquid state than ever before.

Shopping? What's that? We discovered Instacart and grocery delivery. It's awesome and we buy just what we need and do not buy more. No impulse buying. I'm not sure we will go back to the grocery store when this is all over.

Shopping malls? Forget it.

Amazon has all our business...and delivers anything we've needed to our front door, like never before?

People being layed off. Hospitals were supposed to be overwhelmed, not they are laying off staff left and right.

It's a crazy and insane time.

Like I said, I don't have a crystal ball and nobody else did or does.

Nothing is going to be "over" until we have a proven, effective therapeutic drug to fight this thing and then a vaccine.

Last edited:
I wear a mask when I go into stores but I don't freak out if others don't. Same thing when I ride. We are not required to wear a helmet, but I choose to. If others don't want to I'm ok with their choice.

We hear daily about testing. If I get tested, and let's say I test negative, that means nothing after the test. The next door knob, person, or letter in the mail could result in being infected. And yet, some politicians screamed that they couldn't test. Of course they blamed the federal government.

There was a shortage of masks and protective gowns. I kept asking myself questions. We have three large hospitals in town and their associated systems. All of them are privately owned, for profit entities. How is it someone else's fault that they don't have enough supplies ? They didn't want to spend the money on inventory. Yet, the local politicians pointed fingers. Not at the administrators of the hospitals, the federal government for not swooping in to save their asses. Again I asked, how was this the federal governments fault ?

Initially we were told "don't worry, the virus probably won't get to the U.S.. It did, and we were told it was like the flu, so carry on with our lives. Then there was the wear a mask don't wear a mask.

The thing is there were mistakes made and lessons learned. Still being made and learned for that matter.

One other thing that really stood out, the news media called it the Wuhan Flu, as soon as the president said it came from China the same media was on him like a pack of wild dogs.

So, to say I am skeptical would be a true statement. I'll continue to wear a mask, carry hand sanitizer and disinfectant wipes in my car. If I want to go fishing, or work in my yard, or go for a walk with the dog I will. If I want to have visitors in my home I will, although it is their choice to visit or not. I'll even ride the motorcycle.

So, I don't want to spread anything, but I want to live not just exist.

Mean, I'm with you on many of your points. I am so sick and tired of watching both political parties make hay of this for political purposes. I just want hard, scientific facts, and do not need to watch either our President of Schumer or Polosi politically granstanding and saying idiotic things.

We will just have to ride this one out and the pundits, scholars, and experts will be studying and pronouncing and declaiming for years about the situation, pointing fingers, investigating, trying to score votes, or debating points...for a long time.

The real thing that I do believe needs vigorously to be pursued is why, how, and when things got out of control in China, and why. We've had too many viruses come from there.

Further, I hope the biggest take away is that we can not outsource vital resources to any nation. USA must protect itself and guard itself and we can never be in a position again where we are depending on Communist China for core medical supplies, etc.

Back