• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg ATI Tactical #50431

Welcome to the forum. Check out atioutdoors.com. They have most of the aftermarket furniture for sale to turn a standard Mossy 500 into the tactical system you are looking for.

You should also check out Mossberg’s Flex 500 line. You can configure one base model into various configurations including a tactical configuration.

Welcome. I bought the same components for my 500 but the foregrip had caused the arms to jam and I couldn’t eject/load the shells. I kept the stock but went with a magpul foregrip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Devil’s advocate. What about “practi-cool” vs “tacti-cool?”
This Maverick 88 (made by mossberg) will do everything you’re wanting to do at a 1/3 the cost. No, it won’t look as cool as a video game shotgun, but it’ll work every time.
Heat shields are more for looks than anything else on shotguns, especially a pump. Look at all these shells that were fired, not one heat shield (Google Argentina dove hunting). https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/...gun-15mosamvrck88hd12spg/15mosamvrck88hd12spg

Attachments

• 23831B2C-9A8B-442C-8700-D1C3AB4AE9C0.jpeg
    23831B2C-9A8B-442C-8700-D1C3AB4AE9C0.jpeg
    265.7 KB · Views: 6
Thank you all so much for the input. Yeah I definitely want that "tacti-cool" look vs just practical. I'm not too worried about cost, definitely want a reliable home defense build first, but also have that look of the ATI model too. Even if the heat shield does nothing, I really just like that look.

Thank you all so much for the input. Yeah I definitely want that "tacti-cool" look vs just practical. I'm not too worried about cost, definitely want a reliable home defense build first, but also have that look of the ATI model too. Even if the heat shield does nothing, I really just like that look.
Make sure you post pics of your build so others can learn. Good luck!

Here ya go. You can make the Mav 88 look as cool as you want.
https://www.combathunting.com/Products-MAVERICK_88_SHOTGUN_Accessories.html
When it’s time to wipe down the barrel you have to remove the heat shield.
Here’s some pics of shooting a small’ish target with slugs at 60 yds with a cheap maverick 88 which is a lot further away than the law will allow you to shoot zombies.
This is with a front bead sight only.
Go hold a few shotguns with pistol grips to make sure you like it.
If you get a sling don’t get a big ole loopy one. Get one that’s tight enough that you can put your non shooting elbow in to help steady your weapon.
You’re paying for the “furniture” with the ATI mossberg. Get a shotgun of your liking and add the furniture that you like.

Attachments

• B1CD0EB3-3ADE-4AFD-8687-C9894C990223.jpeg
    B1CD0EB3-3ADE-4AFD-8687-C9894C990223.jpeg
    423.6 KB · Views: 5
  • 9B9384C4-5CD6-41DD-BC1C-DE1AB1AFF110.jpeg
    9B9384C4-5CD6-41DD-BC1C-DE1AB1AFF110.jpeg
    246.6 KB · Views: 5
  • 36492757-ADC6-49F7-B854-FBC706EBB9C0.jpeg
    36492757-ADC6-49F7-B854-FBC706EBB9C0.jpeg
    326.4 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Really appreciate all the tips. I'll definitely go hold some to see if the pistol grip is the way to go! Clearly I've got a lot to learn here, I'm going to study a bit on what all the different components are to a shotgun and see what I'd like to customize for appearance and functionality. I really liked the appearance of that ATI model and would like to replicate something very similar, but of course want it to function as needed which is home defense above all. Thanks for all being so helpful, a lot of forums are quick to go after the new guy with no experience. If my use is home defense, is the mav 88 a top recommendation. I'm open to any others, I just stumbled upon the ATI and thought that would fine. I'm not worried about budget and this is my first shotgun.

I find the pistol grip to be limiting in how you are able to handle a shotgun in a variety of positions. If you are looking for the "Mother of All Tactical Mossberg Pumps" look no further than the Mossberg 590A1 Magpul Edition.

Mossberg 590A1 Tactical.jpg

Really appreciate all the tips. I'll definitely go hold some to see if the pistol grip is the way to go! Clearly I've got a lot to learn here, I'm going to study a bit on what all the different components are to a shotgun and see what I'd like to customize for appearance and functionality. I really liked the appearance of that ATI model and would like to replicate something very similar, but of course want it to function as needed which is home defense above all. Thanks for all being so helpful, a lot of forums are quick to go after the new guy with no experience. If my use is home defense, is the mav 88 a top recommendation. I'm open to any others, I just stumbled upon the ATI and thought that would fine. I'm not worried about budget and this is my first shotgun.
Yeah, the 18” Mav is perfect for a home defense shotgun. It’ll go bang every time. I wouldn’t spend $700 on a firearm that’s going to be sitting in the closet “just in case.” A bad guy won’t ask how much you paid for the gun that’s pointed at him. Nor will he say, “cool heat shield.”

Last edited:
Really appreciate all the tips. I'll definitely go hold some to see if the pistol grip is the way to go! ...Thanks for all being so helpful, a lot of forums are quick to go after the new guy with no experience.

This is a great forum with a lot of good people and firearms knowledge. I think I speak for most here when I say that firearms safety is the most important aspect of owning a firearm. As an instructor, I believe education is key! And ALL brands of guns are welcome--feel free to read the sub-forums...

My thoughts on PG stocks, and not to be confused with just a pistol grip and no stock, are that they allow better control of recoil if multiple rounds are to be fired. But they might be more difficult to shoulder as your hand hunts for the PG. The gun is carried in front, and not slung on the back as a hunting gun would be. These are just my opinions/thoughts on the subject so I could be wrong...

As mentioned, buy a Maverick and outfit it with the stock of your choice. MagPul and ATI are both good choices and are both US companies with US-made products.

BTW, Welcome Aboard! :)

Back