• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Maverick 88 7+1 with no sling swivell in stock!

I just got a black 88 7+1 and my stock is like the OPs with no "nipple". Well, that sucks...any suggestions. I'm planning on getting the Hogue 12" stock soon anyways.

I just got a black 88 7+1 and my stock is like the OPs with no "nipple". Well, that sucks...any suggestions. I'm planning on getting the Hogue 12" stock soon anyways.
What if you looked for an oem 88 security stock that has the provisions for a sling?
The oem stock isn’t bad. With the addition of a Limbsaver recoil pad shoulders pretty nicely. The pad added a little more length of pull and made it 120% more comfortable on the shoulder as far as recoil goes. When I first bought my Mav it hurt so bad to shoot that I wanted to get rid of it. I’m not all that recoil sensitive, but dang that thing hurt me. With the Limbsaver I can (and have) shoot it without a shirt on and it didn’t hurt at all. Nite & day difference.
I’ve had it for three years and it’s been fired a bunch and it’s holding up nicely.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00KCS5SNY/ref=cm_cr_arp_mb_bdcrb_top?ie=UTF8

Attachments

• D9323F82-47F2-4A97-B291-FEFD224744DA.jpeg
    D9323F82-47F2-4A97-B291-FEFD224744DA.jpeg
    236.3 KB · Views: 2
The reason I want to install the Hogue 12" LOP stock is due to my height and arm length. Can I add the limbsaver to the Hogue stock? Or is that over doing it?

The reason I want to install the Hogue 12" LOP stock is due to my height and arm length. Can I add the limbsaver to the Hogue stock? Or is that over doing it?
Save your money cut your stock down to 12" LOP and add a LimbSaver.
Here's the stock plastic one I cut and added a LimbSaver.
View attachment 23155 View attachment 23156
I think adding the Limbsaver to the shorter stock would be taking a step backwards since it’ll make it longer again. I’m not sure if the “direct fit” Limbsaver will fit the hogue or not. Maybe? You can always add “the slip on” saver I guess.
Save your money cut your stock down to 12" LOP and add a LimbSaver.
Here's the stock plastic one I cut and added a LimbSaver.
View attachment 23155 View attachment 23156
He still wouldn’t have a sling mount though.

As far as the LimbSaver use the "slip on" and just adjust 1" when cutting for LOP.
They also make a slip on sling if you must have one.

You could cut the stock down to 12" LOP like the Hogue, and slide on a slip-on Limbsaver which will add an inch. LINK I would go with a size "S". But I would do some measuring before I cut anything because the stock gets smaller in "diameter" the closer you get to the trigger and the LS might not be small enough.

You could cut the stock down to 12" LOP like the Hogue, and slide on a slip-on Limbsaver which will add an inch. LINK I would go with a size "S". But I would do some measuring before I cut anything because the stock gets smaller in "diameter" the closer you get to the trigger and the LS might not be small enough.

I think this is the route I'm going to take. I'd like to find a used stock to chop up in case I mess it up haha. Will be searching "How to" guides for pictures and measurements.

It depends which plastic stock you have. Some have a flat "boss"(flat spot) where the swivel screw would go.
Once you take off the recoil pad you can look inside and see where it is reinforced. Like I said some stocks have it ,some don't.
I used the slipon LimbSaver.
What type saw are you using to cut the stock? If using a power saw just brace it good and go slow not to chip the plastic.
Did you measure your LOP? You will want to allow 1" for the recoil pad. I cut a 14" LOP down to 11 1/2",fits great.
Need any more info feel free to ask.
lop2.jpg LOP measurement.jpg

Also you could use this type swivel screw. Drill a hole and maybe a small washer for support.
OIP.jpg

It depends which plastic stock you have. Some have a flat "boss"(flat spot) where the swivel screw would go.
Once you take off the recoil pad you can look inside and see where it is reinforced. Like I said some stocks have it ,some don't.
I used the slipon LimbSaver.
What type saw are you using to cut the stock? If using a power saw just brace it good and go slow not to chip the plastic.
Did you measure your LOP? You will want to allow 1" for the recoil pad. I cut a 14" LOP down to 11 1/2",fits great.
Need any more info feel free to ask.
View attachment 23180 View attachment 23181

I bought another OEM stock with the "boss" (?), please see attached picture. Figured I can keep my original stock intact and I can butcher this one. I'll be using a circular saw. Debating if I'm going to buy the Classic or AirTech pad. I have not measured my LOP yet. I need a 2nd person to help me haha.

Really appreciate the help.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-05-14 at 10.50.49 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-05-14 at 10.50.49 AM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 6
That stock is great for you it already has a mounting place for a sling swivel.

I used a power miter saw with a fine tooth blade when I cut my plastic and wood stocks. I guess you can use a circular saw, fine tooth blade and brace it good and go slow not to chip the plastic.
I used the small classic LimbSaver slipon recoil pad. when measuring your LOP,don't forget to allow 1" for the pad thickness. I had a stock tha was 14" LOP and I cut it to a 12 1/2" LOP.
Keep us posted.

I used a power miter saw with a fine tooth blade when I cut my plastic and wood stocks. I guess you can use a circular saw, fine tooth blade and brace it good and go slow not to chip the plastic.
I used the small classic LimbSaver slipon recoil pad. when measuring your LOP,don't forget to allow 1" for the pad thickness. I had a stock tha was 14" LOP and I cut it to a 12 1/2" LOP.
Keep us posted.

The seller I purchased confirmed he has the same security model that I have. Interesting how some guns have a certain part and another doesn't. Anyways, the stock I purchased with the "nipple" is slightly shorter, slimmer, and has a nicer, thicker butt pad. I may not need to trim it.

Attachments

• IMG_20200603_104549.jpg
    IMG_20200603_104549.jpg
    328.8 KB · Views: 4
This is probably a stupid question, do you keep the original butt pad on, then put the slip on Limbsaver over it?

Or do you take the OEM butt pad off and then use the slip on Limbsaver only?

Keep us posted.

Last edited:
This is probably a stupid question, do you keep the original butt pad on, then out the slip on Limbsaver over it?

Or do you take the OEM butt pad and then use the slip on Limbsaver only?
Either way I believe if you’re using the slip on type. The “precision fit” type replaces the oem one all together.

I just bring this up now because of the price mentioned in the original post. I too have one of these and paid the same price as the original poster. Look at the price I found today. https://www.jgsales.com/-p-92100.html I don't know how these people can sleep. And what is worse is that I bet they sell out of them at that price ($599). Take care. Tom Worthington

I just bring this up now because of the price mentioned in the original post. I too have one of these and paid the same price as the original poster. Look at the price I found today. https://www.jgsales.com/-p-92100.html I don't know how these people can sleep. And what is worse is that I bet they sell out of them at that price ($599). Take care. Tom Worthington

Holy crap....I think I give around $230 for mine shipped!

It would appear that the FDE stock does not have a sling swivel lug. The black one does.

31046.png

31048_8shot_FDE.png

I just added one to mine the other day, now to find one an attachment for the forend. I have a mountain sling, just not sure if that`s the way I want to go, looking at a 3 point also.

102_9708 (2).JPG

Back