• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Joined the Club today

kodiak3842

Copper BB
Bought a Shockwave today. Went with the 20 ga not being sure what it was like to cut loose with one.

Now to accessorize. Have a side saddle shell holder on the way, need to get a light, and a laser. And lots of ammo.

When it comes to lasers, should I go Crimson Trace saddle? Tru-Glo Mini Tac? Something else? Any advice appreciated.
368d4b862ce0ddf6d440a8d794e31ce0.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

My advice

Put 250 rounds through the gun, combination of birdshot, buckshot and slugs

Decide what the prime purpose of the gun is, home defense, target shooting, range only, fun, etc.

Then decide what you want to add to the weapon to enhance it's intended use.

Read multiple threads on this forum, lots of good advice and lessons learned.

Most importantly, welcome to the forum!

Good luck.

Regards

Welcome! I agree with Ernst - shoot it a bit and get a feel for it, then decide on enhancements or modifications. You may even decide that you don't like it at all (gasp!) and want to go a different way.

If you want to dive right in with additions, I love the Crimson Trace Lasersaddle (mine came with one preinstalled). A lot of folks on this forum and others rave about the Leapers/UTG Bulldot. There are lots of other options out there with their own merits and drawbacks. As far as flashlights go, I initially went with a CDMG mount and a small Monstrum flashlight but went to the Streamlight TL Racker once it became available for the Shockwave.

Enjoy your new Shockwave!

I have the Crimson Trace Lasersaddle and the TL Racker installed on mine. Haven't had to use it in the dark yet, but the laser makes it very easy to sight.

My CT laser saddle as well as a TacStar side saddle should be delivered today. Have some Talon grips coming as well.

Now to get bunches of ammo

What's everyone like as a defensive round? I am leaning heavily towards buckshot loads, if I can find any.

Hard to go wrong with Federal. If you're shooting 2 3/4", look at the LE Tactical Flite Control 00-Buck or the PowerShok 4-Buck shotshells. If you're a minishell aficionado, try Federal Shorty 4-Buck. I'm sure there are plenty of other good ones.

Mods so far. TacStar side saddle, CT Laser Saddle, and Talon rubber grip tape. Starting to come together.

Might need a light and mount now. And more ammo, which is all but impossible to find right now around here.
11a9b1af5f05e9ce95809a60c652ecd7.jpg
dcece77d72fb6c65d10ebc0c5d998d80.jpg

Kodiak, congratulations on your new Shockwave!

You have a 20gauge as do I, where did you get the side saddle cartridge holder?

I have a GG&G rail on mine with an Olight 1200 Lumen light.
I did install the UTG laser, but really like the looks of the Crimson Trace.
I did order a new Crimson Trace Light, it never came in, it looked like a nice unit.

The side saddle came from Amazon. It is a TacStar.
I wish I had gone with the green CT laser, rather than the red. Red is ok in lower light, but I have heard the green shows better in daylight. Just what I have heard, no proof.

Got to shoot it for the first time today. Started with birdshot (#6) then went to buckshot and slugs. Didnt shoot alot since the buckshot is pretty scarce right now. Glad I got the 20 vs the 12. The 20 seems controllable, where I wonder about the 12. Never shot one though.

Lots of fun though!

Kodiak, congratulations on your new Shockwave!

You have a 20gauge as do I, where did you get the side saddle cartridge holder?

I have a GG&G rail on mine with an Olight 1200 Lumen light.
I did install the UTG laser, but really like the looks of the Crimson Trace.
I did order a new Crimson Trace Light, it never came in, it looked like a nice unit.

This is the side saddle that I have on both of my Mossbergs;

https://www.browncoattactical.com/category-s/1632.htm

Very happy with them

EDITED TO ADD CORRECT LINK

Last edited:
Welcome
I have the Bulldot and am pleased with it. I did have to blue loktite the rail mount nut ... came loose on my first shoot. Didn’t realize it til I got home. Re-sited it and is great. I bought a $16 bore sight laser. Very easy process.

Back