• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

464 Range Time - Scoped Mounted

I only had a little time today.

I mounted the scope and wanted to get some rounds on paper to zero.

https://www.leupold.com/scopes/rifle-scopes/vx-freedom-1-5-4x20

Kwik-Site combo base and low rings.

This is my third trip to the range and I have about 160 rounds down range.

I have been cycling the action between range trips.

Today, it felt much smoother and functioned 100%.

None of the ejected brass struck the scope.

Group is not amazing but it is acceptable. The trigger might be getting better with use as well.

So, now I need to start reloading for it and find a decent combination that this rifle likes.

Today I was shooting the 150 Grain Remington.

Bill

Bill, that's actually pretty good for factory ammo.

Mine shot better with heavier Rem 180gn blunt tip loads, but never did well with the pointy Lever Revolution ammo.
I don't think the carbine length is suitable for those Hornadays. They always tumbled. Too little spin I suppose.

I think the silver coating has to wear in a lot. Mine had a bit too much inside the receiver and I smoothed it out with scotchbrite and oil, which helped a lot.

I have never made a really good .30-30 handload yet, and I sort of lost interest when I started loading .223 and .308.

But I love my .30-30, and will get back to it soon.

I bought some Hornady 150 grain round nose bullets.

I have some powder on the shelf that I have data for.

IMR3031
Win748
IMR4064

After Christmas, i plan to load some up and hit the range.

I am just looking for plinking performance.

My next box of bullets will be in the 170 to 180 weight range.

Bill

Last edited:
I bought some Hornady 150 grain round nose bullets.

I have some powder on the shelf that I have data for.

IMR3021
Win748
IMR4064

After Christmas, i plan to load some up and hit the range.

I am just looking for plinking performance.

My next box of bullets will be in the 170 to 180 weight range.

Bill

How about IMR 3031...I use that and also 4064. I think my 3030 likes IMR 4198 best.

IMR 4895 and Trail Boss are great for low velocity, low pressure plinkin loads. Data is available online for most powders.

Oops, typo on the IMR 3031.

I am working with the Hornady 9th edition load manual and the Nosler website.

I picked up RCBS dies. Would have preferred Lee dies but they were not available locally.

IMR 4198 is interesting but I don't have any on the shelf. Yet!

Bill

Last edited:
Got some range time in today.

I had loaded 30 rounds on Saturday.

IMR 3031 30.0 grains

Hornady 150 grain JRN

Winchester Primers

Recoil was noticeably light and POI was pretty low on paper at 50 yards. Nice group though.

I adjusted the scope and kept shooting. Rifle is functioning great and the trigger seems to be improving or I am getting used to it.

I'm a big fan of the 1.5-4x scope for a lot of guns.

I have the Leupold 1.5-4x on my Marlin mod60 now and it makes a terrific 50yd+ scope for that gun at rapid fire!
Others are 3-9x, for 100yd shooting, but the .223 Varminter and Ruger .308 are 6-24x and only good for long distance targets.

I'm gonna go try that .308 again right now.

I returned to the range today but without the scope.

After much consideration, I decided that this gun would best fit my needs without the scope.

I want to use it for 25-50 yard Hog hunting and at those ranges, the iron sights should serve me well.

I needed to zero again so I started off at 25 with a rest.

I worked my way up pretty close to where I was satisfied.

Next, I took some shots at 25 yards from the standing position. I tried to simulate a "snap" shot that I might take on a Hog.

I am satisfied with how the rifle performed today. Rear sight is riding on high.

The rifle functioned 100% today. I was shooting my 150 grain reloads. I estimate that I have about 300 rounds down range so far. I like how I have better visuals of the action when operating the level without the scope mounted. I like this configuration better.

Bill

Last edited:
Back